Favorite Text Editor/IDE for C++?

Pages: 12
I personally like using Visual C++ because of its intellisense and including libraries and such is easier compared to if I were to use a text editor.

What do you guys use? If you guys use an IDE over a text editor, or vice versa, why?
closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
I prefer Visual Studio because I'm much more productive with it as compared to alternatives.
I use vi/vim, seems like every (non-Windows) C++ job uses that. At least every job I had.
I use Emacs. I have trouble using anything else now because they're either not as capable, or (in the case of Vim and other such powerful text editors) I spend my time looking up the equivalent chords to do things.
Last edited on
closed account (1vRz3TCk)
I don't really have a favorite as such but I do like BBEdit a lot.
I use gedit on Linux, but on Windows I resign myself to Notepad++. The only IDE I tend to use is MonoDevelop for C#.
I prefer VS10 Ultimate, its Intellisense is much better than VS08's, it updates way faster. Did I buy it? Er... "Whoa, I prefer Notepad++. Did I say anything?"
I'm using the Visual Studio 2012 RC (they changed the name apparently) and it's working wonderfully. I've found it to be more responsive than VS2010 Express/Ultimate, and their re-adding of the forward/backward buttons for browsing files is something that I love them for. Visual Studio has never hampered my workflow, and VS2012 only continues that trend and even improves it.
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
My problem with Visual Studio 2012 is that the Express Editions don't include a fully featured development environment: you can only make Metro apps with them.

In order to write regular applications and get the advantages of the new C++11 compiler features I have to buy a license for +$500. Why would I do that when I can use Eclipse and Netbeans with GCC and get an IDE that's *almost* as good, but for free?
vim :)
AFAIK, Visual Studio 2012 has always been named that. You are probably thinking about the version, which is version 11. People tend to get confused because coincidentally, Visual Studio 2010 is also version 10 of the product. Since the new Visual Studio started to showcase last year, you think it changed names, but not really. Last year the product didn't even have a name. That's my understanding of it.

And my all-time favorite is Visual Studio.
In order to write regular applications and get the advantages of the new C++11 compiler features I have to buy a license for +$500. Why would I do that when I can use Eclipse and Netbeans with GCC and get an IDE that's *almost* as good, but for free?
Microsoft's pushing their new platform, and I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing. The UI is a LOT more intuitive and clean than programs in the desktop environment, and I think that Microsoft's pushing of these programs is just. It's similar to Apple preventing external tools from creating iOS apps to stop poor interfaces as a result of cross-platform coding. You're in a new environment with many new and useful features to use - don't get caught up in the deprecated things, make use of what we have now.

AFAIK, Visual Studio 2012 has always been named that.
When I had Visual Studio installed previously as the Beta, the program called itself "Visual Studio 11 Beta." It only recently got a name change, or so I've read. Or rather, by what you're saying, a name assignment.

To be honest, I'm sorta' looking forward to Metro development. I mean, videogame performance takes a solid nosedive with the installation of Windows 8 (which is what I've been experiencing) so I'm assuming that plenty of horsepower is being pushed in the UI's direction. On top of that, the editor looks to be intuitive and useful. I just hope that the Metro API is friendly with creating videogames, since I feel like that could be a successful endeavor, if at all possible.
Last edited on
+1 xander337

Thanks for the link, that's amazing news.

Microsoft's pushing their new platform, and I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing. The UI is a LOT more intuitive and clean than programs in the desktop environment, and I think that Microsoft's pushing of these programs is just. It's similar to Apple preventing external tools from creating iOS apps to stop poor interfaces as a result of cross-platform coding. You're in a new environment with many new and useful features to use - don't get caught up in the deprecated things, make use of what we have now.

Do you work for Microsoft PR? What a bunch of hand-waving nonsense.

Do you realize how much of a barrier for entry doing this would make for new programmers? You can't even make a simple "hello world" console program with the new tools.

The Metro interface, for many people, is an unholy mess and for other people Metro just isn't a good platform for the kind of application they want to make. Removing the fully-featured C++ compiler from the Express editions, when it was included before, is a slap in the face to everyone that can't afford the ridiculous license fees for Visual Studio.

Anyway, it's a good thing they changed their mind about what comes with the Express editions.

videogame performance takes a solid nosedive with the installation of Windows 8 (which is what I've been experiencing) so I'm assuming that plenty of horsepower is being pushed in the UI's direction.

Just another reason for me to either stick with Windows 7, or just move to Apple and Linux development.
darkestfright wrote:
is a slap in the face to everyone that can't afford the ridiculous license fees for Visual Studio.

It is only ridiculous is if doesn't sell. In my opinion, the fee is worth it. There is no better tool to develop for Windows. Don't want to pay? That's OK. Stick to lesser products. Nobody is forcing you to use Visual Studio in the first place. You can continue using MinGW for console Hello World programs. Who says that hello world programs can only be done in Visual Studio anyway?

What I'm saying is:

1. You charge whatever you want for your product. If it sells, it means you have a good product. If it is expensive, well, better for you, the developer of the product.
2. If VS Express C++ disappears tomorrow from the face of the Earth, new students will be able to compile their hello world programs with a different tool. The world won't stop.
closed account (zb0S216C)
Code::Blocks & Notepad++ by a landslide.

Wazzak
In my opinion, the fee is worth it.

And to many people it's not. I pay for my personal license of Visual Studio, but I use Express editions or the Windows SDK for deployment: things I can't do with that model because the full compilers and tools don't come with it.

Who says that hello world programs can only be done in Visual Studio anyway?

That's a non sequitor. What I said was an example of stripping out *basic* functionality from the compiler for the sake of selling software licenses, not saying people can't write hello world programs anymore.

2. If VS Express C++ disappears tomorrow from the face of the Earth, new students will be able to compile their hello world programs with a different tool.

But the barrier for entry will be much higher. People have moved to Linux and Apple for less. At least XCode for Mac is free and they only charge for AppStore deployment, and Ubuntu deployment in the Software Center costs nothing.

Anyway, it's pointless to talk about it anymore anyway. They changed their mind after developer backlash.
Do you realize how much of a barrier for entry doing this would make for new programmers? You can't even make a simple "hello world" console program with the new tools.
At the same time, I've recommended that many new programmers stay away from even VS2008/2010 because the interface has a bit too much functionality, and the features would overwhelm them. I wouldn't expect newbies to be pushed in the direction of Visual Studio Whatever in the first place.

The Metro interface, for many people, is an unholy mess and for other people Metro just isn't a good platform for the kind of application they want to make.
I'm not going really try to argue on this point because you're probably right, and it's not appropriate to argue against opinion. But this is still a new platform, and it's a major change. People tend to not like change, especially not something of this magnitude. I wasn't a fan at first, but since forcing myself to get accustomed to it I have no qualms with Metro. I'd give it some time before saying whether or not people truly like/despise it.

Despite this stance, I am glad that they brought back regular development for Express. It stops me from breaking quite a few projects, as I'm sure is the case for everyone else as well.
I wasn't a fan at first, but since forcing myself to get accustomed to it I have no qualms with Metro. I'd give it some time before saying whether or not people truly like/despise it.

Stockholm Syndrome ;)
Metro is pretty blatantly designed for touch screens. For crying out loud, certain dialogs say 'tap here' instead of 'click here'. Honestly, I'm finding it to be rather clunky to use with a mouse.

Also, running windows 8 right now. I think someone said they noticed vastly decreased performance in gaming? I've been doing a lot of gaming lately on it and haven't seen any issues. Gaming including TF2, Skyim, Half Life 2, L4D2, Borderlands, Diablo 3, Bastion, Limbo, Super Meat Boy (aka, masochism: The video game).

... I've had some time on my hands... But I digress, what release are you running, NGen?
Pages: 12