suggest features for an audio player

What kind of special features would you like to see in an audio player?

Here are the features I have in consideration already.

-Create playlists
-loop playlist
-shuffle playlist
-shuffle or loop multiple selected playlists

-smart shuffle
-rate songs
-keep track how many times a song has been listened to

-play songs backwards
-loop songs

-convert to flac, or ogg

-organization by playlist, album title, and artist
-edit metadata

-display track information (sample rate, bit rate, length)

-spectral analyzer
-signal level meter
-plot waveform
-edit waveform
-fade out/in
-gain
-normalize

-karaoke/guitar overdub
-record what you hear

-equalizer

-visual effects

-play CD
-rip from CD

I'm not sure if it would be possible to sync to various mp3 players/portable devices, but if that were possible...

Last edited on
-play songs backwards

If you're adding that, you might as well add a "sync with Wizard of Oz" function.

Honestly, as long as you can sort/filter on several categories and make your own playlists, you're good. I don't think people still want those all-in-one programs for their music player. They want a lightweight program that plays music with a clean interface.

If you're just adding functions for the sake of adding functions, you could try adding some effects (echo, reverb, super-bass, etc). I'm not entirely sure what you can do with mp3 format files though. I doubt you have much control over the content.

An easier thing might be to loop a part of a song. I often find myself having to pause, search, click and play because no music player I know has this function. It's very handy if you really like a certain part, e.g. when trying to learn some badass riff.
Look at Banshee for inspiration. Banshee is the best media player I've ever used (except on Windows, it barely works at all on Windows)..

Gaminic wrote:
when trying to learn some badass riff

Try Songsterr.com for this (requires flash).
Last edited on
They want a lightweight program that plays music with a clean interface.

One of my biggest conceptual challenges is to figure out how to keep the interface clean and make the program as easy to understand and use as possible as I continue to add more functionality.

I'm not necessarily going to add all of these features, I'm just considering them.

Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.