I want to hack.

Ive been recently getting really interested in hacking, and next year I'm going to pursue a degree in CS. The more I read about hacking the more fascinated I become with this powerful method of problem solving and getting a computer to do what you want, so I've decided to start this summer. My ultimate goal would be to someday work with security. I want to eventually learn to program using c, asm , shell scripts. I want to learn networking, exploitation, cryptology, and reversing. But obviously first I have to start with the basics. My main OS would probably be windows alongside of linux. Linux has bash and the command line I started learning C recently but people have been advising me otherwise because they say I won't be able to apply it early on with fun projects since it's a little bit lower level. So I'm looking for a language to start with that I can implement beginner "hacks" early on. Legal stuff of course. I have a few computers at home so I could botnet one of them or something? Idk, I'm new to the feild but would C++ be a good beginner language that I can hack with early on? Or would something like python or java be better?
Idk, I'm new to the feild but would C++ be a good beginner language that I can hack with early on?

No. Firstly C++ is not a beginner's language. Secondly you are better off with good old C, which will suit you very well. C++ does have productivity enhancements over C but for your purposes and goals they are mostly irrelevant.
C++ was my first programming language, so it's not the end of the world if you do choose it. I don't know if it was a good idea to start with C++ because it is pretty hard, but it turned out okay in the end.

I think C is a good first language because it's very unforgiving, so it teaches you to be careful. It also requires you to understand pointers, and every language uses pointers (even if they don't expose them to the programmer (Java)). C is also very simple (it's a relatively small language with a smallish standard library and a small amount of reserved keywords, etc.), although it's not easy by any means (manual memory management and pointer-related things are probably the hardest parts). You can use C for games and anything else - all the major game development related libraries are either for C or have a C binding.

Assembly is a great language if you want to understand how the CPU works. Shell scripting will be good because it teaches you to write small programs which take text as input and give text as output (called filters) which can be combined (using pipes and I/O redirection) in different ways to make other programs. I'd also recommend learning Perl because there is a lot of code written in Perl, so being able to at least read it will make things easier for you. In some ways Perl can be used as an extended shell scripting language.
Wow, the first post about hacking where the op isnt a 12 year old trying to make hacks for his new call of duty game. respect!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.