Study Group for Beginners [recruiting]

Pages: 12
I would like to invite any/all beginners to join me (a fellow beginner) at a Google group I have created.

My plan is to share study materials, set up a curriculum and short term assignments, answer each others questions/logic problems along the way, and work on sample problems at the end of each chapter or assignment.

I found a huge bundle of eBooks for free, which we can all share (or you could just search for yourself using torrents). I selected a few books which are easy to follow and properly explain things step by step. If we go through each book chapter by chapter by a certain time period, we can make sure we follow a solid progression like any proper class would offer.

The Google group offers a private place to share discussions where we won't be distracted by other non-related posts, we can add downloads directly to the group, and keep everything organized nice and tidy. It is a place tailor made for our purposes: learning C++ as beginners.

(Of course we can always come back to this site for any specific questions which we can't find the answer to) but the main purpose of the group is to study with others at about the same level, try our damn hardest to figure things out, and learn by practice and experience.

We can respond to each other directly through the Group discussion board there, or we could always try to set up something like Skype as well. I hope I can convince a handful of you to join me there to help me get the ball rolling.

http://groups.google.com/group/cplusplus-beginners

There's an error in your "Getting started: Compiler" thread:
Visual C++ is not a language. It is the name of Microsoft's C++ compiler and IDE. The IDE has a GUI builder -- a tool to help in the design of GUIs -- hence the "Visual" part.

Also, although this is less important, I don't think any of the languages you mention there ("Python, Ruby, Perl, DarkBasic") are compiled.
I was under the impression that the same code, if compiled in 2 different compilers, for example Visual C++ <---> (Other) may not necessarily be compatible. Is this correct?

I think you misread the 2nd part which you commented on. I was saying that Python, Ruby, etc are different languages, so they should make sure they are getting C++ compilers and not one of those (I'm sorry I dont know the correct terminology for it; an "application?").
Well - i signed up see what all this hype is about :P
Standard-compliant code should compile on all compilers, but it's true that it's possible to write code that will compile only on Visual C++. Then again, the same is true for Borland C++, and even GCC.

No, I read it correctly; and the word you're looking for is "interpreter".
8 members so far.
Could use a few more ppl who actually voice their opinions and share thoughts. >_<
Now 14. If you join up, please post something on this thread so it stays bumped.

Oh and post something on the group thread too, there is no point joining a group only to sit silently in the shadows. Thanks.
Joined up.
I am gonna join too :P
It will be useful for me.
Joined. Just for something to do, and for exercise.
I'm in.
Joined. Will be good help, and I love teaching. Best of both worlds. ^^
Isn't this just going to be a rival forum??
Isn't this just going to be a rival forum??

With a lack of experts to answer questions and offer guidance.
rival forum? huh

With a lack of experts to answer questions and offer guidance

instead of supporting the idea of beginners helping each other u just point out the negative points.

wow, thanks for ur warm support.

or better yet, if u notice there may be some experience lacking in the group, hmmm, i dont know, maybe u could offer ur own advice to those in need? but no, that would be asking too much. u have the time to comment on what a waste the group is but dont have any time to actually help ppl. if u have nothing positive to say, please gtfo. =)
Zaita has a point well stated. If someone is unable to answer a question in the beginner group, there are people with 5 and 10+ years of experience here that can answer almost anything.
or better yet, if u notice there may be some experience lacking in the group, hmmm, i dont know, maybe u could offer ur own advice to those in need? but no, that would be asking too much. u have the time to comment on what a waste the group is but dont have any time to actually help ppl. if u have nothing positive to say, please gtfo. =)

Kuzu, you've got to be kidding right? Zaita is one of the top posters in this forum! I think its great that you started a google group, that way you'll get the hell off this forum! This site and its members are a wealth of knowledge. What good can possibly come from a large group of inexperienced C++ beginners banding together... sharing bad coding practices.... writing gotos and system("pause");.........

Return 0;
closed account (z05DSL3A)

KuzuRanger Wrote:
instead of supporting the idea of beginners helping each other u just point out the negative points.
[Playing devils advocate]
What if you genuinely think that it is a bad idea? If the phrase 'the blind leading the blind' pops into your head when your read the groups description. Do you point this out to the people involved, you have after all joined this forum to help people, guide them, and inform them? Or do you say nothing or worse still encourage the new group?
[/Playing devils advocate]

KuzuRanger Wrote:
or better yet, if u notice there may be some experience lacking in the group, hmmm, i dont know, maybe u could offer ur own advice to those in need? but no, that would be asking too much. u have the time to comment on what a waste the group is but dont have any time to actually help ppl. if u have nothing positive to say, please gtfo.
[Playing devils advocate]
Maybe the advice being offered, to the members of this forum, is that there is a lack of experience in the new group so may not be the best place to get help.

Zaita did not say the group would be a waste, that would be your own insecurity interpreting what he did say in that way.
[/Playing devils advocate]

For the record:
KuzuRanger, I have no problem with you creating a new group for beginners, I don’t even have a problem with you ‘touting’ for member here, but I don’t quite see the advantage of your group over participating in this forum.
Last edited on
Firstly, Grey Wolf really has hit the nail on the head.

or better yet, if u notice there may be some experience lacking in the group, hmmm, i dont know, maybe u could offer ur own advice to those in need?

You haven't noticed, I already do that here. It's not a very polite way to try and solicit a C++ professional to come and help your group.

but no, that would be asking too much.

Yes your right. I have no obligation to you, or even this forum, to offer my advice. I, like the other professionals, do this as a volunteer for no payment in any form.

u have the time to comment on what a waste the group is but dont have any time to actually help ppl. if u have nothing positive to say, please gtfo. =)

I provided a simple statement that highlighted an obvious flaw in the design of your group.

Yes coming here and saying gtfo is a pretty hard one to put against the people here. I myself to love this forum in particular though. One place I find I get the perfect expert help I need from people who know perfectly what that are doing :)
Pages: 12