Which Aspect Ratio For a Game

Which Aspect Ratio For a Game?
4:3 used to be very common, but since wider screens have become commonplace I'd suggest 16:9.
On that note: which devices use 16:9 and which use 16:10? I always figured it was TV vs Computer screen thing, but apparently that's not entirely true.
Which Aspect Ratio For a Game?

WARFAG?
LUSAR

Let User Select Aspect Ratio
WARFAGs are less common now that the Don't-ask-Don't-tell law has been revoked.
WARFAGs are less common now that the Don't-ask-Don't-tell law has been revoked.

Holy god! This is amazing. Just made my whole damn day. Busted up laughing at my desk.
You think they'd be more common, now that it's officially all cool. Maybe the illicit thrill was more fun than we realise.
Last edited on
TVs generally have a 16:9 ratio, while computer screens can have either one. It's generally best to support 16:9 though, since it works on TVs and scales well to 16:10 monitors.
TVs generally have a 16:9 ratio, while computer screens can have either one. It's generally best to support 16:9 though, since it works on TVs and scales well to 16:10 monitors.

Good to know, I already have the game at 16:9. Now I'm just thinking about what I might do with the extra space on the screen when the user has a 4:3?

I was thinking I could have some kind of HUD; and detect wether the user has a 4:3 or 16:9; put it horizontal for 4:3 and vertical for 16:9.

I also don't want to rule out a mobile device port though, so I'm still thinking about it.
Last edited on
For a mobile version you will probably have more issues than just AR tho.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.