Software Donations Legal Issues

I'm pretty much done writing a tool for a game mod that'll allow the user to make sure they have the latest files at the click of a button.

To be honest, it was a project to aid updating for my friends and I and an opportunity to do something new (I didn't write it in C++). However, I figured I might as well roll it out online as it may be (or maybe not) useful to other players.

So I'm planning to release it as a free download but was toying with the idea of having a PayPal donate button in there too. Are there any legal issues with this (UK)? Presumably, any donations (not that I imagine there will be many) will be taxable income. Since it's a tool for downloading mod files for a game, will there be any issue with the game developer?
For that you will have to ask the game developer.
It's just my opinion but you may not want to bother with all of that legal mess, not to mention the eventual disaster of tying any of your financial assets in with Paypal. Don't ignore the potential of ad revenue, case in point there are only two or three banner ads per page on this site (do you even notice them half the time?) and I can't remember twicker ever panhandling for donations. Just something to consider.
Cheers for the advice. It was more of an afterthought than anything else. I think I'll just leave it out to save the bother.

Cheers. :-)
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.