• Forum
  • Lounge
  • What if i delete Application Data folder

What if i delete Application Data folder in windows?

Will this delete saved passwords/email-addresses/history etc of all the browsers that i use?
closed account (zb0S216C)
"Application Data" isn't a folder, but a Junction for backwards compatibility. A Junction is basically a short-cut for re-directing programs to a different location. By deleting that Junction, you'll break that function. For programs that are no longer installed, you can remove their entry safely.

I'd leave it as it is.

Wazzak
No, it won't. Even if you follow Application Data to where it actually points to. For one thing your browser history for IE is stored in "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\History" or for XP it's "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\History". Just use CCleaner if you want to wipe this stuff out.
i am writing a program that clear all the cookies/passwords/usernames/history everything..
any ideas regarding their storage paths?
Something wrong with just using ccleaner?
Actually I tought too about making one, but i stopped myself when I tought of CCleaner like everyone else is saying.
ccleaner is better, no need to write a program when one comes with the OS (though I'm sure the learning experience is good).

On a side note, anyone ever try to run it from the run prompt and type in gccleaner? Do that on occasion
I see what the OP is trying to do now, there's nothing wrong with reinventing the wheel as long as you learn something from it. The only problem is that it's a little easier then you might have thought. You would use "ExpandEnvironmentStrings()": http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms724265(v=vs.85).aspx to resolve the environment variables to their path. Also typing "set" with no arguments in the command shell will give you a list of the environment variables and their values for your current environment block. The ones that you would be most interested in are 'APPDATA', 'TEMP', 'TMP' and 'USERPROFILE' but check out the others while you're at it.
On a side note, anyone ever try to run it from the run prompt and type in gccleaner? Do that on occasion

Doesn't do anything :/
Also CCleaner doesn't come with the OS, it's developed by Piriform, isn't it?
Last edited on
@ EssGeEich: BHXSpecter is a *nix user, I would guess Ubuntu. In this case CCleaner does come with the OS.
Ah, 'aight, I tought he was on Windows, as I think this topic is Win-related.
I use Windows, and the project i am currently working on requires me to clear all saved passwords and history..
Actually I have both and CCleaner on both, just forgot I had to get it as I now only use Windows for playing games and program under Ubuntu.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.