People aren't lazy

Pages: 123
In regards to the additives and hormones introduced to our produce and goods in the last century, I want to bring up milk. Milk, in itself, is hard to preserve since it doesn't have a long expiration date to begin with and doesn't do well when being transported, but somehow, large companies still strive to make milk last as long as possible. Walking into the local Wal-Mart (I am not touching the subject of corporate monopoly with them) I notice several different options when it comes to milk.

We have two local dairies here (I live in Pennsylvania where we have an abundance of farm land and therefore cows) which both offer milk at the Wal-Mart. Then Wal-Mart has their own "Great-Value" milk. I used to work for one of the dairies and they have recently released their milk with a notification about a growth hormone (rBST to be exact). They caught some flack from the FDA over it.

To quote them, their containers and milk cap say this:
From Cows Not Treated with Artificial Growth Hormones (rBST)
FDA says no significant difference has been shown between milk derived from rBST treated and non-treated cows.

Essentially, you can take it for what it is, but if given the option, I'll drink untreated milk. I might just be lucky and have a good area to grow up in, but some companies do care about the public's well being. I worked for the company for quite a while and they were always fair. They have a profit margin just like every other company, but they have always put people first (if you need more examples of this, I'll be more than willing to supply it). I really just wanted to point out that everything bought in a store isn't bad for you. I even worked hand in hand with corporate to introduce healthier alternatives to food being supplied in the stores themselves and to make a better atmosphere for the customers (at the companies expense).

Now, I don't know that their milk is 100% safe, but I have been to the dairy themselves and nothing "strange" goes on there. My point being, do you really know what goes into any of the foods you buy?

Side Note: I know, as humans, we're not meant to drink other mammals' milk. I grew up on drinking it and love all dairy products overall, but I have limited to how much milk I take in. I can't say the same for cheese, however.
So where does your knowledge come from? Is there a secret scientific community with its own studies and journals?

You know I didn't mean that so what's the point of your sarcasm? Are you saying people in general are well educated about health and nutrition? I think it's the opposite, and the main reason for this is overwhelming amount of contradictory information given by media, commercials, doctors, scientists, institutions.

I'm not saying all the studies on the subject are worthless. But finding reliable ones requires some skill in critical thinking and scientific methods. You cannot count on any authorities, because they usually either repeat "common knowledge" proved wrong decades ago, or worse, they are not objective due to conflict of interests. You also cannot count on media as they are interested in shocking news only. So you are on your own. What means that most people are pretty ignorant in this subject.
re you saying people in general are well educated about health and nutrition?

I am saying, in general, that your government is not your enemy and that "processed" food does not "make you ill". Quite the opposite, in fact: it greatly reduces the incidence of food-borne illnesses, in addition to providing other beneficial effects. This isn't exactly a new field.

You cannot count on any authorities

I strongly disagree with that. Authoritative sources of information are the most trustworthy sources, second to reading all the original research yourself.

So you are on your own

And that was my initial question to you, where would this, your own, information come from?
Cubbi wrote:
Authoritative sources of information are the most trustworthy sources, second to reading all the original research yourself.

Can't argue with that; as a most tactical plan of those who have power over us they would use us, not throw us away to bad health!
@Cubbi,
Processed foods are processed so they stays free of disease and keeps longer, but generally they aren't great for your health either. They're often high in salt, trans fats and sugar, and low in nutrition, vitamins and minerals. Generally, you ought to eat things that haven't been "tampered with". In an ideal world, everyone would have access to food that has just come out of the ground/animal, and there'd be no need for industrial processing.
I remember reading something similar recently. A shop had started selling completely unpasteurised milk, but this had raised health concerns (contrary to initial intentions) as pasteurisation in fact fought against the spread of certain diseases.
chrisname wrote:
high in salt, trans fats and sugar, and low in nutrition, vitamins and minerals.

How could the same food be "high in fats and sugar" and "low in nutrition", simultaneously? What kind of "nutrition" are you talking about? As for vitamins and microelements, they're some of the most common food additives.

In an ideal world, everyone would have access to food that has just come out of the ground/animal, and there'd be no need for industrial processing.

And die at the age of 30 on average? Thank you, I'd rather live in the world that invented fire and went through industrial revolution.
Last edited on
Cubbi wrote:
How could the same food be "high in fats and sugar" and "low in nutrition", simultaneously? What kind of "nutrition" are you talking about?

I said trans fats, not fats in general. Unsaturated fats come in two types: cis and trans. The difference is in molecular structure, see: http://www.hidden-diabetes-cures.com/images/cis-trans-fatty-acids.gif

Naturally-occurring trans fats are okay, what's bad is trans fats that occur as a result of industrial processing (which IIRC happens when oils are heated above a certain temperature, which is what makes fried foods generally unhealthy). As for sugar, simple sugars are rarely a good form of nutrition. So, what I should have said is "low in good nutrition", which wouldn't be contradictory.

Cubbi wrote:
As for vitamins and microelements, they're some of the most common food additives.

I'm not talking about food being fortified with vitamins, that's fine; when I talk about processing, I mean things intended to create "ready meals" and fast food, which generally packs food full of artificial chemicals. Chemicals from natural sources are usually fine if they aren't toxic, since they're the kind of thing that would normally be available in a human's diet anyway.

Cubbi wrote:
And die at the age of 30 on average? Thank you, I'd rather live in the world that invented fire and went through industrial revolution.

Nice slippery slope there. Also, I think you misunderstood. I'm not yearning for a time before industry existed, I'm just saying a lot of industrial processing is unnecessary and not beneficial, and it would be better to eat food that is natural. Industrial processing hasn't existed for long enough for humans to adapt to artificial additives and what-not. Cooking food also destroys bacteria and improves the bioavailability of nutrients, so to me, other than a few demonstrably beneficial processes, as well as cooking, food should be kept in its natural state as much as possible.
I am not really fighting against alternative diets: from hardcore vegan and paleo to organically farmed or self grown, food is still food, even if, on average, inferior to what is readily available.
What I have an issue with are dismissals of the achievements of bioengineering, agriculture, food chemistry, and traditional dietology as insufficiently tested or even harmful. Replace "big food" with "big pharma" and the same rhetoric is suddenly luring people into the hands of homeopaths, antivaxers, and other criminal frauds.
Last edited on
I eat a pretty standard Western diet, but I don't believe for a second that it's a healthy one. It's not that the science is poor, it's that companies generally aren't interested in making healthy foods, they're interested in making money. Heavily processed, low-quality food full of preservatives and additives is better for making money than organic food, and often it tastes better because of what it has in it.

I don't think the food industry is trying to poison us, I just think that they don't necessarily have our best interests at heart. Generally companies only change ingredients to healthier versions because of government or consumer pressure (like McDonalds changing from using animal fat-derived oils to vegetable oils, even though it turns out that animal fat derived oils are healthier for cooking with because they have a higher smoke point).

Would you have us think we are in our peak?

It's only been a short while since people thought mercury was a great thing for children to play with.

It wasn't long ago that the same company now selling rBST, were selling agent orange.

And in every moment along the way from inventing fire to the atomic bomb and onward, there has and will be people like you, who have, or have had, full trust and confidence in the authorities and or mainstream opinions of the time.

Last edited on
I enjoy a healthy lifestyle of a balance between the computer screen and outside. Every morning i wake up at 6am(its hot in Nevada, cant be out past 11am here before your sandals melt to the ground) to walk my dog and train for upcoming triathalons. After working myself to near death each day i relax at the computer and program, go out with the friends and enjoy my day. Its all about have a balanced lifestyle.

I dont understand why people dont want to workout, i absolutly love the feeling you get after working out. Its comparable to a high in my books, and coming from someone who hasnt had the best past in his life i love getting that feeling each and every morning compared to anything else.
@Need4Sleep

Correct me if I am wrong but you seem not to be exhausted after you work yourself to death? I wish you all the best but how can you get your act together afterwards? I, for instance, would fall asleep on the spot and miss out on the fun things one can do like sitting down at the computer screen (and not necessarily program) and hanging out with friends. But, the key word here is stamina. Some people just prefer getting work done over exercising because to them it is a trade-off.

I go back to my earlier post and insist that this phenomenon can in some scenarios stem from an individual's exclusive genetic profile. Both getting easily tired and having a high metabolism or whatever makes you immune to getting fact cannot be controlled by a person as opposed to laziness.
Last edited on
I am saying, in general, that your government is not your enemy and that "processed" food does not "make you ill".
The goverment is not your enemy but is not your friend either. By "processing", I don't mean cooking or frying, but various industrial processes that result in adding highly unhealthy components (such as trans fats) to food (you can add lots of trans fats yourself if you fry using vegetable oils, but that's another story).

I strongly disagree with that. Authoritative sources of information are the most trustworthy sources, second to reading all the original research yourself.
You are naive. Learn to think yourself.
BTW I'm not saying you should automatically discard all authorities. But you should be your final judge.

And that was my initial question to you, where would this, your own, information come from?
I already answered this.
Last edited on
I dont understand why people dont want to workout, i absolutly love the feeling you get after working out.

It's dull and you can get a better high on demand using drugs.
My experience with drugs is nonexistent. That being said, there are very few things more satisfying for me than beating my deadlift record ;)
@moschops

with proves the point of humans being lazy. We would rather choose a more unhealthy alternative than live a healthy life style.

But then again to dont blame people to much. Human instinct is to save energy and become as efficeint as possible, or in other words be lazy(and still live).
OT: My son had his trachea surgery Wednesday, and has spent the first day just recovering on a ventilator healing. Everything went well and he is doing wonderful all things considered. (He stopped breathing a week ago today, was rushed to the hospital then life-lined to a hospital in Indianapolis, IN).

We have proof all around us that we are lazy and want results NOW! Cars, color changing cleaning products, throw it in and forget it items, gastro surgery to lose weight, eating disorders, drugs, etc., etc., etc.

People have grown complacent and want to sit around and look for things that let them sit there. If they want a high or change in feelings they do drugs, beer, and worse of all food. Food is the worse drug of them all as you can keep eating and eating without overdosing on them (well until you die of heart disease or such).
You say that like it's a bad thing.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 123