• Forum
  • Lounge
  • What is expected of a software developer

What is expected of a software developer?

I am going into my final year of a BSc Computer Games Development.

What I want to know is what is expected from me when I go for a job.

I have done well in the mathematical modules, fairly well in the graphics modules and overall good.

I struggled with a 2nd year module: Data Structures and OO Design Patterns. As I ain't too great with terminology.

Am I expected to know other languages? As we only scraped some C# in 2nd year plus some Python but it's mainly been C++.

As for networking we mainly learned terminology and understanding networks as for using it with in a program....nothing.

Finally when in a job are you expected to do a lot of work outside of the work hours?

I just want to know what's expected of me straight off.
Here is what we expect of new software grads (we are a small branch of a major defence company):

To get through the interview, the ability to knock together a simple (for example, a linked-list) data structure in C, and to talk about the implementation's strengths and weaknesses.

To talk sensibly about things like; source control, testing, coding standards, quality, processes. You don't need to have much (or in some cases, any) experience, but at least know what they are and what they're for. Any monkey can be taught to code. We have little use for code-monkeys.

The ability to communicate verbally and with the written word in a coherent, sensible fashion.

Dressing appropriately for a job applicant. Employees wear clean, tidy clothes with a tie if they want to. Job applicants wear suits.

The ability to learn.

A surprising number of applicants are unable to demonstrate these things and thus don't get hired. Those that do get hired essentially do those things; coding, testing, quality, processes, thinking, learning, writing and speaking.

Finally when in a job are you expected to do a lot of work outside of the work hours?

When something has gone wrong and extra effort is needed to get things finished faster. Some industries have a very bad rep for this. At the start of your career, I advise you that if you find yourself in a job where unpaid extra hours are the norm, or a state of perpetual crunch is standard, to walk.
Last edited on
So just make sure I am mainly clued up on terminology and know what I am talking about. Well with my 3rd year with my project am sure I'll get that glued to my memory.

What about demonstrating or a portfolio?

Is it a must to bring work or just bring your brain?
Moschops wrote:
I advise you that if you find yourself in a job where unpaid extra hours are the norm, or a state of perpetual crunch is standard, to walk.

Just to state the (should-be) obvious, with the global economy in the state it is, never leave a job if you don't have another job to go to...
Just to state the (should-be) obvious, with the global economy in the state it is, never leave a job if you don't have another job to go to...

As an alternative point of view, I've been working for a bit over a decade. I'm on my 4th job in the industry. I have yet to go looking for a job before quitting.

What about demonstrating or a portfolio?

I can't speak for other companies, but I've never seen anyone expect a portfolio from a new graduate. A new graduate, pretty much by definition, hasn't done anything yet. Yes, sure, some turn up with bits and pieces, but when we go looking for a new graduate we're not expecting them to have much beyond a little basic knowledge and the ability to think.
Last edited on
I've read that game studios hiring developers often want to see some kind of work that you've done. Even if it is just some small games you've put together over the years.

I also went to an open house for a major health care technology company and talked to one of the software engineers who hires for his team, and he told me he expects some programming to be done that he can look at it. He said it doesn't really matter what it is, as you likely haven't made anything ground breaking or even important on your own, but to be able to see how you think through a program and implement ideas is important.
Last games developer interview I went to had me do a programming test and a maths test.

To even get the interview, I needed a portfolio, for which I used a website full of my code and projects.
To even get the interview, I needed a portfolio, for which I used a website full of my code and projects.

Out of interest, was that for a zero-experience position, or a more experienced role?
Zero-experience / postgrad.

The ended up not even hiring. :-(

I think they would have needed someone with more experience anyway; it was all low level stuff they were doing.

For more experienced roles (and, sadly, lesser roles) they tend to ask that you've shipped at least one AAA title. Tricky to get that kind of experience when it's the entry criteria for most game dev roles. :-S
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.