Wireless NIC linux

closed account (o1vk4iN6)
I know some of you here are using linux and I currently have a linksys WMP300n, when I bought it I wasn't thinking drivers but now I have trouble with them (need to use windows xp drivers on w7 and linux for it to partially work). I was wondering what kind of wireless adapters you are using if any at all ? Or if you recommend any.
closed account (o3hC5Di1)
Hi there,

I think I read somewhere you're using Ubuntu, right?
There's a lot of people struggling with this card on Ubuntu apparently:
http://www.google.be/search?q=linksys%20wmp300n%20ubuntu

Have you gone through any of those threads and solutions?
If so, which things did you try already?

I have personally used an intel card with the ipw2200 driver, currently using an Atheros.
Atheros has quite good support on Linux I find.

All the best,
NwN
I've read a lot of threads, it seems that this specific card (even tho it is broadcom) will only work with the windows xp drivers and not the open source ones for linux. I am on gentoo, I can't try the windows xp driver (although i know i used this method before on ubuntu and other distros) because ndiswrapper doesn't compile when emerging with protage. I like how portage works but it has its flaws. What brand is your atheros ? I've read that some brands are constantly changing their chipset (even if it is for the same card; linksys does this). I've also read that encore/ralink is a good cheap brand/chipset.
What error do you get compiling ndiswrapper?
I'm running gentoo as well since about 2 months now - quite happy with it.

Can you paste the output of portage where it fails to emerge ndiswrapper?
Perhaps it requires a feature enabled in the kernel which you have not activated by default or de-activated thinking you wouldn't need it.

You may also want to check this thread if you haven't already:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2783377.html

I think the main problem is getting ndiswrapper installed, as you indicate yourself that it worked fine with that before.
If we can get it to emerge it should be sorted, one would hope.

Sorry that I can't give a more definite answer.

All the best,
NwN

Last edited on
I seem to remember having this issue when I first got Ubuntu. If a wired connection is possible, that should work without issues. From there, should be able to just download/update drivers and be good to go.
I used genkernel (as I do not know much about drivers, apart from nouveau driver for nvidia which i enabled).

/var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/ndiswrapper-1.57/work/ndiswrapper-1.57/driver/ndis.c: In function 'NdisGetCurrentProcessorCounts':
/var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/ndiswrapper-1.57/work/ndiswrapper-1.57/driver/ndis.c:2657:24: error: 'struct kernel_stat' has no member named 'cpustat'
/var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/ndiswrapper-1.57/work/ndiswrapper-1.57/driver/ndis.c:2658:31: error: 'struct kernel_stat' has no member named 'cpustat'
/var/tmp/portage/net-wireless/ndiswrapper-1.57/work/ndiswrapper-1.57/driver/ndis.c:2659:17: error: 'struct kernel_stat' has no member named 'cpustat'

* ERROR: net-wireless/ndiswrapper-1.57 failed (compile phase):
* emake failed

I'm in the process of reinstalling gentoo, not sure what could be causing that error (I'll post the complete log when I reinstall and if it still doesnt compile).

Yah gentoo is great, I love all the customization but my configuration is rather terrible. To be able to do anything like turn off the computer you need to be root. Not sure if there's a user group for something like "local" or not.

Also thanks for all the help.
Last edited on
Maybe try compiling the most recent version of ndiswrapper (1.58rc1) http://sourceforge.net/projects/ndiswrapper/
Hi there,

According to this thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=12200453

naraku9333's solution might work.

According to:
http://packages.gentoo.org/package/net-wireless/ndiswrapper

The latest version is still "in testing", but you can try it nevertheless by doing the following (as root):

$ mkdir /etc/portage
$ echo "net-wireless/ndiswrapper   ~x86" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
$ emerge ndiswrapper

Or as a temporary fix (so it won't keep installing unstable ndiswrapper afterwards)

$ ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge ndiswrapper

change ~x86 to ~amd64 if you have a 64 bit machine and installation of gentoo.

Hope that helps.

All the best,
NwN
Last edited on
I was able to compile 1.58rc1, ran into another problem though with reinstalling. Grub or the kernel can't seem to recognize the root partition's filesystem, get error 17 unable to mount. Anyways I appreciate all the help.
Would you mind posting your /etc/fstab ?

All the best,
NwN
Found the error, for some reason in the grub.conf, "root (hd1,0)" (my boot partition, which should be "/dev/sdb1" is actually (hd0,0)" even though the device.map shows hd1 as sdb). Well I got ndiswrapper loaded and everything seems to be working, just need to configure for wpa. Again thanks for all the help.
Last edited on
Well done, glad it got sorted. :)

All the best,
NwN
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.