Will c++ die in the games industry??

i'm slightly worried because it's taking me ages to learn c++ and by the the time (hopefully) get a job in the games industry , they might stop using c++ and use another language.
I hope so! Which is quite hypocritical of me, seeing as I'm still around, trying to promote C++11.

they might stop using c++ and use another language.

I very much hope D will replace C++ soon, have you seen D? It's like C++, but high-level.
You shouldn't worry so much about that. Languages are a tool and as a programmer you shouldn't learn languages so much as you should learn concepts. You need to be able to adapt between languages.

edit:
I'm willing to bet you're still pretty young. Give it time, the more you learn the faster you'll learn. Someday soon you'll be studying something new and find you've become a truly proficient C++ programmer and moving onward to a new language will be a breeze.
Last edited on
IMO as computers get more powerful we'll see less of languages like C++ and more of languages like C# and Java. It's happened before. Eventually all games will be written as a single paragraph that describes the game, for example "Gritty world war two shooter", "Gritty modern warfare shooter", "Gritty fantasy RPG", "Gritty stealth RPG", "Cheap survival-horror", "Rehashed sports game with marginally better graphics", etc. The only difference will be improved graphics and even longer and somehow duller unskippable pseudo-interactive cutscenes interspersed between each minute of gameplay.

Still, I think you should learn C++ if you want to get into game development. If and when it does get replaced, the language that replaces it will almost certainly be very similar. Unless for some reason game developers decide to use Haskell all of a sudden, but that's not likely.
There are a few top rated games on steam that use C# XNA. but most of the AAA are still made with C++ for both Desktop and Console. Considering Microsoft dropped XNA and are also pushing towards using C++, I think it is safe to say C++ will be around a long time.

However there are still companies using XNA and there is a project being done to replace it called ANX. There are a few other good framework that use C# for games as well. And some games like Civ 4 were made with Python. And many games use LUA for their interface, etc.

But if you go on 20 major game company's website and look at what they are currently looking for to hire, you will find that most of them are asking for someone that their skills lay in C++.

IMO your probably best get real good with a few languages :p I personally picked C++, C# and python for myself. And may learn more...
Eventually all games will be written as a single paragraph that describes the game, for example "Gritty world war two shooter",

Do I sense some sarcastic resentment?
@Disch
A little :P

I don't really think that will be the future of games.
D won't replace C++ ever. If it were to, we'd already see its adoption.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
What Microsoft dropped XNA? Since when?

But like others have said it is best to learn multiple languages and it will get easier once you learn the concepts of programming. For example a AAA game usually uses multiple languages in its devolopment C++ for its inhouse tools and engines, then a game engine scripting language then they will also use something like LUA to program the high level game content. So you will be working with many different languages in the game industry but once you learn one it is 10 times easier to learn another one.
Last edited on
People will write bad code in any language you can name and give that language a lot of hate and cause it to go out of style. You can't stop people from being stupid, but you can make it harder. Unless you're creating a new standard for an existing language, in which case you just have to deal with it.
And some games like Civ 4 were made with Python.

I believe the base of Civ 4 was programmed in C++ while the interface, scripting events, map generation, ect was programmed in python. It would be very hard to write a game that size in a scripting language but I could be wrong though.
Last edited on
Very much doubt that C++ will die in the video game industries anytime soon, and even if it does after learning C++ other languages won't be that hard, since most share syntax and purpose, aside from different paradigms, that's all.

Plus, C++ is not that hard to learn.

Learn. Code. Test. Advance. Four steps to get better at programming.

You just need to stay at it for a few weeks, and you should have most of the basics down.

I'd say that within a year you should be already fairly advanced in the language.

Just stay with it steady; you can't learn it all at once.

I very much hope D will replace C++ soon, have you seen D? It's like C++, but high-level.

High-level isn't the best for everything. Too much more overhead at the cost of a bit more effort in learning a lower-level language is not the best alternative in high-end gaming that eats up and spits out gigabytes of memory a second.
Last edited on

According to Bjarne; C++ is both low and high-level, however you should stay high level and use smart pointers, containers, etc... C++'s low-level features are only there to preserve backwards functionality with C and not to be used unless you really have to.

Since visual studio 2012. XNA will not work on windows Metro. which is why the ANX project exists.

It would be very hard to write a game that size in a scripting language but I could be wrong though.

python is not just a scripting language. full enterprise software and games have been made using python.
Last edited on
They stopped updating it about 2 years ago, they made an official press release saying that XNA was dead only a couple of months weeks ago.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121843-Microsoft-Confirms-the-End-of-XNA

I still develop with XNA though, and there are hacks to get the SDK to work with Visual Studio 2012. The only thing this really means is that the SDK won't get any more updates, it doesn't mean that we can't use it anymore. Additionally, the MonoGame library provides various ports of XNA to different platforms, and IIRC Windows Phone still supports the XNA runtime for game programming. Dropped, but not dead.

I believe the base of Civ 4 was programmed in C++ while the interface, scripting events, map generation, ect was programmed in python.
It's quite common for a game's engine to be written in a lower-level language and for the aspects of game development to be implemented via scripting. Hell, even Naughty Dog did it back when they were working on the original Jak and Daxter.

It would be very hard to write a game that size in a scripting language but I could be wrong though.
Blender was made in Python. Think about it.

Looking at a lot of the games I get off of Steam, I'm seeing a lot of .pyc (compiled Python) files all over the place. Seems to be quite common.

Languages of the games industry tend to lag quite a bit behind what's currently being used in the desktop development space. IIRC, it wasn't until ~15 years ago that C++ was heavily used in games, but on the (original) Wii and iPhone C is still the go-to language. If we do move from C++, at the most I'd say that we're only half way through its time in the games industry.
Last edited on
Hmm weird always though Python was more used for higher level interface type stuff.

Also with XNA not being updated anymore are they planning on keeping it around for the Xbox 360 Indie section or are they going to phase that out as well? The only reason I started to pick up XNA was to develop on the 360
I think it will always be supported for the XBox 360, but the question is off how long the XBox 360 will be supported for. There have been quite a few rumblings about the next generation of consoles throughout the game development department of the college I attend. You're free to create games for the 360, but I don't know that they'll be supported on the Durango.
Last edited on
I guess there will be a language that you can use if c++ dies, and you can use what you learned learning c++ on a new language, unless technology comes up with something so different and new there would be no use for programmers ever again
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.