Why makefiles

Pages: 12
Unix and Linux are two different terminologies for an OS, or kernel.

Using them interchangeably is also annoying.

That is like an idiot thinking that X Window System is actually a window manager, or that a daemon is a stack pointer.
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
... we are talking about one program that can run on two systems. we are not claiming they are the same thing. we are talking about running the same thing on two diff kernels
@ Big Tomato:

*nix not only refers to Unix, but also Linux and several other derivatives, including BSD, Solaris, and even Mac OSX.

Also that was an incredibly lame reason to report DTSCode. Stop being a dufus.
*nix is an abbreviation for every variation of linux/unix. Why wouldn't you use it if you're not specifying a specific distro?

After you dig into them makefiles don't seem so foreign. Like Disch said, it's like a project file. When compiling things by command line, (especially when projects get lengthy), it becomes almost impossible to type every flag out and specify every source file. And sometimes there are multiple build steps, which aren't fun to type out every time you build your project either. So Makefiles are used to shorten a command like
clang++ -stdlib=libc++ -std=c++11 -Wall -D_DEBUG 
-o Program Main.cpp file1.cpp file2.cpp -I/opt/local/include -framework SFML -framework sfml-system ....
into
make

EDIT:
I found this pretty useful if you're interrested
http://mrbook.org/tutorials/make/
Last edited on
especially considering the fact that it was aimed at the op
Depends on the executable image, file format, and middleware services, along with a GUI system as the interface.

Although the kernel is responsible for actually taking care of allocating a stack frame and the like, the Linux kernel uses ELF images(so does Unix and such).

However, even so, the kernel can have special priveleges associated with different file headers and demands, thus, further complicating the process.

This is why I have chosen to implement my own executable file format, structure and extension for my OS.
Last edited on
Looking at some other posts by Big Tomato I think it's that same troll that was flooding the boards a few weeks ago.

*sigh*
Also, the only relation from Mac OSX and/or iOS to Unix-like standards would be directory structure hierarchy, and command-line interpretation specifications of terminal GUI programs.

Other than that Apple doesn't have any relation to Unix.
It definitely is the same troll.
Big Tomato wrote:
Other than the relationship between OSX and Unix, OSX has no relationship to Unix
Unix is a dinosaur of an OS that virtually 90% of the average computer user population (excluding developers or those who work with computer software and/or scientists) doesn't even know what the hell Unix is.

At least maybe 10% of the average people on the street may have heard of Linux one or twice, although millions of people use M-Linux (modified Linux with Android), most idiots don't know what software lives beneath their multi-touch germ gorilla glass screens for their primate fingers and low IQs.
Disch, I never said that. You're quoting non-existing text.
the fact that freebsd explains why unix is no longer remembered
Disch wrote:
Other than my perplexed knowledge I can assume, I assume I am complex illogic.
It's funny because you did.
Big Tomato wrote:
Wow, Disch. That was a great reply. Thanks so much, you're probably the smartest guy I know.

Always happy to help. ^^
closed account (3qX21hU5)
That is basically what your sentence broke down into spooner :). Oh hows the OS going anyways you happen to got a preview we can check out?
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12