OS X - How to send HID events to 3rd party app

I have been working on a cross platform driver for a gamepad for fun. Because it's for fun, and because I know nothing of making kernel extensions, I decided to use libusb and work in userspace.

Right now, I can capture all the data from my gamepad that I need and print out events, e.g. when a button has been press/released or axis moved.

Okay, now I want to somehow broadcast these messages to any applications that are waiting on these kinds of messages -- for example a game or emulator. However, I'm completely lost as to where to go from here. Is there (like in Linux) a special file where these applications will be listening for events where I can write to?

I assure you, I've tried to reading the IOKit documentation, searching everywhere on the Internet, and trying to read really old source code, all to no avail. Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated, even if it means trashing my current project.
So, could anyone point me in the right direction for any operating system? Getting the thing to work on one OS would be better than none at all, I suppose.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.