start an OpenGL service on a remote server

I am working on debugging an OpenGL service that runs on a server. The operating system is Ubuntu. The problem is that I cannot figure out a way to start the service remotely using just SSH. Before I go and ask someone who has administrative privileges to set up VNC, I was hoping I could find a solution that doesn't require administrative privileges .
Why can't you just SSH and start it? A service is a service. As long as you have privileges to start the service, there shouldn't be any issue.
Trying to run the program with a regular SSH session fails because you cannot connect to X server. Using the -X or -Y options enabling X forwarding also fails with the problem that, Xlib: extension "NV-GLX" missing on display "localhost:10.0", but I don't want to use that option anyways, because with that option the program would use my graphics card.

Last edited on
I don't have much experience running graphical applications over an SSH connection, but when I have had to the -X option always worked for me.

Sorry but I'm of no more help :( I'll dig around the Interwebs and see if I can find something, though I'm sure you're already trying the same thing.
I figured how to do it. I had to change a few environmental variables. Thanks RB.
Mind telling me what you had to change? I like to keep random bits of information like this :)
$export XAUTHORITY=\home\<user>\.Xauthority
$export DISPLAY = ":0"
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.