prerequisites for linux programming

hi everyone,

I'm not much of a computer programmer .I've learnt a bit of c for semester.I would like to make the best use of ubuntu by learning linux programming and bash scripting.
I would like to know the prerequisites for learning linux programming.I hope my minimal knowledge of c would be sufficient.but is this the right way to start programming for a beginner or should i proceed to learning more about c/c++ first?

I wonder if someone who owns a Canon Powershot G3 X can check something for me.

I have accidently dropped my new pride and joy and I believe I have an issue, I sent it away to a Canon recognised repair company for assessment, I explained the issue and sent it off. They received it on the 07/10/15 and I got it back today 04/11/15 so a good few weeks, they were waiting for a service sheet because its a new model Camera. Workshop report Mentioned error could not be found.

OK the error:

When the Camera is switched off and the lens is closed, the lens wobbles inside the lens housing it seems unsecure when walking along all you can hear is constant rattling around. As soon as its powered up and the lens opens to its first position its perfect and works as normal no problem.

Would an owner of the Powershot G3X. Camera check to see if this is normal and that the lens does rattle around?

I would imagine it's solid with no movement.

I really appreciate help. Many Thanks Lee

Note: I nipped to a Camera shop to look at a new one out of the box and it does the same. Its part of the IS System apparently (so what did I know) sorry everyone. Thank you
Last edited on
What do you mean by "Linux programming"? What do you want to make?
Linux scripting is fun, definitely, and relatively simple. It's a good starting point, and when you're comfortable with it you can try to learn c++. They're not directly comparable, but share enough similarities that they both strengthen the understanding of the other, as with most languages.
> I'm not much of a computer programmer .I've learnt a bit of c for semester.

C is a great yet complicated first language to learn. I suggest you stick with it until you fully understand the basic and intermediate programming concepts. Being proficient in C will make learning other languages, such as JavaScript, Golang and Python, much easier.

> I would like to make the best use of ubuntu by learning linux programming and bash scripting.

Ubuntu is a good distribution to get acclimated with the Linux enviornment. Eventually, you might find it holds your hand too much and want to jump ship. You might find some interest in Debian or, perhaps, Arch.

> I would like to know the prerequisites for learning linux programming.

There are no prerequisites. Just start learning and getting familiar with the command line.

> I hope my minimal knowledge of c would be sufficient.

I'm sure it's sufficient. Unless, of course, you plan to write drivers or improvements to the kernel. Otherwise, you should be find.

> but is this the right way to start programming for a beginner or should i proceed to learning more about c/c++ first?

First, you should figure out what you want to program. Do you want to build games? Tools? Your own operating system? Figuring that out first will help guide you.

Above all else, learn and master the command line. Regardless of the language you use, knowing how to navigate through a system on the CLI will be a skill you can take with you to the grave.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.