C++ for server side web applications

I want to learn to program C++ on web applications.
i guess this would mean on server side.
I already know some C++ to be dangerous to myself.
I looked around, and do not find much on C++ for web programming.
There all kinds of libraries / framework for interpreter type language like
Java, Python, PHP and etc.

For libraries / framework, it would mean things for implementing security, encription,
etc....
Can you suggest ideas on where and how to start.

I heard of many using interpretive language for web servers,
but the ones who have to handle large users seems to use C++.
examples of these are companies like Amazon, Facebook, Google, etc who use C++.
So, there mush be quite some large amount of GPL type C++ tools (libraries and framework) for Linux out there for developing server side web apps.

The only one I know of is QT for framework.
What about tools for security, etc.....
closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
Boost::Asio has an interface for using SSL wrapped streams via the openSSL library. That's about all that I'm familiar with though.

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_46_0/doc/html/boost_asio/reference/ssl__stream.html
Last edited on

I looked around, and do not find much on C++ for web programming.

Well, let's say using C++ for web-programming is like using Flash ActionScript for high performance numeric computations.

I heard of many using interpretive language for web servers,
but the ones who have to handle large users seems to use C++.
examples of these are companies like Amazon, Facebook, Google, etc who use C++

Yep, they use C++ for the very lowest layers like operating systems (Android), web browsers (Google Chrome) etc. Google use it for the primary search engine, because when it was created, there has been no better tool for it. However, currently they really don't use it for webapps. Google webapps are written in GWT (= Java generating JavaScript). Facebook is written in PHP with a Java database system (Cassandra, later HBase). I don't know what is Amazon frontend written in, but it certainly uses a pure Java database system. LinkedIn is 99% Java, Twitter core logic is run on Ruby, Scala and Java.
Last edited on
This may help you with Apache.

http://steinsoft.net/index.php?site=Programming/Code%20Snippets/Cpp/apache-c-script

For other web servers I'm sure you can do the same, but would the easiest route not be to just use php/perl/whatever to launch your c++ executable?
rapidcoder wrote:
Well, let's say using C++ for web-programming is like using Flash ActionScript for high performance numeric computations.

Agreed 100%

Why go through the pain of learning C++ for web-programming?

You have a pile of tools that are better-suited - from php/perl for webservers to Flash and Java on the client-side. If you need to do heavier-duty programming, you can use Ruby, Python and even Rebol is a superior choice!

IMHO, the wrong tool for the task - this is from someone who spends almost all his time using C++ for a server app - but I've been shifting as much off of C++ as I can - if it truly requires performance, I leave it in C++.

Otherwise, I use php for the website and Scala for the client.

But if you truly must use C++, please spend at least a few years (at least 2-3) learning C++ and then see if you can use it to do what you need for the tasks that you require, keeping in mind that just because you're using C++, it doesn't mean your app will be fast.

For example, if you do things like copy-construct function arguments, thrash the memory (allocate and deallocate a gazillion objects without using a memory pool), or use serial I/O instead of random-access I/O for giant files, I guarantee that your app will slow down really fast...
Last edited on
You can develop web application using C++ with help of CGI, HTML and Javascript.

Server side: C++
Client Side: HTML,Javascript,Ajax
Web server: Apache or IIS

Topic archived. No new replies allowed.