Undefined reference to "sleep(unsigned int)"

I have a program written with Windows-only code that I'm converting to multi platform. I've taken the windows only function,

Sleep(unsigned int milliseconds);

and am replacing it with

sleep(unsigned int seconds);

I'm getting an error "undefined reference to "sleep(unsigned int)".
The article that describes my sleep function states that it needs "unistd.h" within the program for it to work. I have that included within the source code, so I am confused as to why it is not defined. Would you help me?

Here is the article.

http://www.manpagez.com/man/3/Sleep/

Here is where I have <unistd.h> included. My entire project is within one source file.

#include <iostream> 
#include <string> // for use of strings
#include <limits> // for use of "cin.ignore();"
#include <unistd.h>

unsigned int
     sleep(unsigned int seconds);

Here is an example of how I am using the sleep function.

sleep(1); 
		cout <<"1";             
		sleep(1 / 3);
		cout << ".";
		sleep(1 / 3);

I am compiling and linking using DevC++. The code compiles, the linker gives me the error.
Please remove your prototype. You should pick that up from unistd.h.
Removed it, getting the error that sleep is now undeclared. What's the problem? I've heard that DevC++ contains the required libraries and headers for unistd.h to be included properly. I haven't edited the compiler at all.
I don't have unistd.h within DevC++. Comes back to the same error, how do I find Unistd.h?
Erm, the function isn't available under Windows.
I'm trying to find a function that's multi platform, so I can't use Sleep (which is windows specific). How am I supposed to make this program multi platform if I can't compile it on Windows?
You just make a wrapper function that calls the correct function depending on the platform.
Or you use an existing multi-platform library that does just that.
How would I call such a function? I'm imagining that requiring me to have the required headers (unistd.h), which I can't with Windows.
That's why you include <windows.h> and not <unistd.h> on Windows.

sleep.hpp:
void msleep(int milliseconds);

sleep.cpp:
#ifdef __WIN32__
#include <windows.h> 
#else
#include <unistd.h>
#endif
void msleep(int milliseconds)
{
  #ifdef __WIN32__
  Sleep(milliseconds);
  #else
  usleep(static_cast<useconds_t>(milliseconds)*1000); //or use nanosleep on platforms where it's needed
  #endif
}

That's the basic idea.
You only would call your own function msleep in your programs.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.