beginning parallel programming

hello
i would like to start dealing with parallel programming but i dont know where to start which libraries should i use or some good tutorials.Im still learning the language but i would like to have an idea about parallel programming.

can someone help and give some links just to start to the right direction?
thanks
You could start by looking threads.
In my opinion, you should learn about OpenMP at first and then look around SIMD.
actually openMp and MPI are the most common that is see on the web and several forums.
correct if im wrong but i saw somewhere that multithreading in not in the standard c++ language , its an extension so there isnt something standard to learn about multithreading in c++.
you just choose a library(openMp , MPI etc. ) and learn how to program with this specific library.
sure you have to learn about parallel programming in general to know how the execution is actually going to be.
am i right?
As of September 2011, actually... there are multithreading facilities in the C++ standard library. Sadly this site's reference isn't quite up-to-date yet, so I'd have to link to to an external site for a reference.
http://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/thread

Good luck, and yes: the theory behind parallel processing is *very* important.

-Albatross
Preemptive multithreading is a facility provided by the Operating System. It can be accessed in a platform specific way by using the platform's API. It can be accessed in a general way by using a platform agnostic library. Very recently, threading was added to the C++ standard library.

Not all multithreaded environments are message passing environments.
Last edited on
hello again
i checked openMp ,zthreads and pthreads from linux.
openMp let you work with threads via preprocessor directives ( which i think is more clear and more readable to see exactly when you are wirking with threads )
but zthreads and pthreads work with common functions.
i would like to know from someone who is already working with threads for a while which way is more preferable by the programmers and which way i will run into the most?
thanks
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.