build and link shared lib

Hi,

This is a beginner question, but I'm stuck so please help me if you can :)
I'm trying to compile a simple c++ program with g++ on 64bit ubuntu - and I just cannot get it working. I've tried every example that I could find on the web and could get none of them working.

mydll.cpp
#include "mydll.h"
int hello()
{
  printf ("Hello World!\n");
}

mydll.h
#include <stdio.h>
int hello();

myprog.cpp
#include "mydll.h"
int main ()
{
  hello ();
}

This is what comes closest to working:
g++ -fPIC -c mydll.cpp
g++ -fPIC -shared -rdynamic -o libfoo.so mydll.o
g++ -fPIC -rdynamic -o foo myprog.cpp -L. -lfoo -ldl

(from http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/faq.html), but when I run the executable I get: "error while loading shared libraries: libfoo.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory" (the file is in the folder ok).

Can somebody please provide g++ 'code' that will make the above code build, link and execute?

thx in advance
sunaj

Have you added the path to your LD_LIBRARY_PATH?
http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/notes/rpath.html
Now I've tried

1) to add the path of the above files to /etc/ld.so.conf/libc.conf, /etc/ld.so.conf/libR.conf and /etc/ld.so.conf/x86_64-linux-gnu.conf files and rebuild using
g++ -fpic -c mydll.cpp
g++ -shared -o libmydll.so mydll.o
g++ myprog.cpp -o myprog -L. -lmydll

-> same error when I run ./myprog

2) added the path to my default search path:
export PATH=$PATH:~/code/cpp/test/testdll
and rebuild using the above g++ 'code'

3) adding a new environment variables called LD_LIBRARY_PATH with the path as value
and rebuild using the above g++ 'code'

any suggestions?

Success! thx for your help.
I created a new libJ.conf files with the path of my code in the /etc/ld.so.conf directory, ran ldconfig and now it works. Why does none of the many tutorials on building and linking with g++ mentions this rather crucial step? (you don't have to answer that).
It's OS specific, rather than a language thing.
Adding an entry in the dynamic loader configuration file is far from ideal, if you move your application development tree it will no longer work. Also, it is potentially, a rather large security hole on a multi-user system.

I think there is quite a lot of disagreement on how to deal with this problem, and there is no perfect solution. A lot of people use LD_LIBRARY_PATH wrapper scripts, which should work - if it doesn't work you're not setting the path correctly, or not passing the variable to the executable.

However, I prefer the rpath solution, at least for my development trees. Assuming the libraries are in the same directory as the executable, add the following to the executable compilation command:

-Wl,--rpath,'$ORIGIN'

However, don't use this blindly, it is not a particularly good solution for deployment.

You may want to investigate the ldd command to get a bit more understanding about what's going on.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.