Looking for a nice GUI

Hey all,
i am looking for a GUI that doenst look as the nativ windows style. Here is an example what i mean: http://www.antisphere.com/Wiki/tools:anttweakbar
I use this but i need more like that.
Maybe someone has some interessting liks for me. That would be great =)
Pretty cool. But isn't that site giving them away? Why not get it from there?
Last edited on
You don't need any library on Windows (never)
You can do everything with native Win32 api (alpha blending, transparency, regions, etc)
george135, why do you try to be so unhelpful?

The OP specifically stated he didn't want the standard Win GUI -- and he doesn't want to write his own GUI -- which leads us to his actual request: links to GUI libraries. Telling him he doesn't need a library when he asks for a library is rather blatantly contrary.
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
Well, anttweakbar is a little different from a normal GUI library. In order to use it, you would need DirectX / OpenGL and have inside of a OpenGL rendering screen / DirectX rendering screen. Do you want something like this or do you want something that uses Windows native window system?

My Opinion: For each OS, you have different window systems. It's usually good to call and use those native windows (which most GUI libraries do for you) instead of using the OpenGL based GUI rendering engine, especially for the most basic of tasks. But it entirely depends on what you want. You can change the appearance and look of the Windows native window quite a bit using GUI Libraries if you really wanna know.

@george135: It's probably isn't the best to use a the Windows API directly. I've been taught to use cross-platform libraries such as wxWidgets and GTK+ and have them call the functions for me. This makes it incredibly easy to improve portability and make your app that much more popular.
Last edited on
QT can also be used for that.. its cross platform, can be used for quick development and can give very good looks...
one example will be vlc media player..i think picasa too..
Qt has liscense issues with commercial software. That's why I don't recommend it originally. It costs a lot of money for a commercial. I think they allow personal and free software with Qt though, I'm not really sure of the extent of Qt.
Last edited on
closed account (z05DSL3A)
computerquip,
You may want to check the licensing for 4.5, I think there is now a free license for using Qt as a separate library that allows the main app to stay proprietary.
qt is free for non commercial projects.. :)

one can download the source and compile..i have qt 4 compiled on my system..
I make GUI like Office or Visual Studio interfaces with Win32 api since 1995.
If you can program, you never use external GUI written by others and which are black boxes.
You make your own classes and you know what you do.
95% of my customers in Europe don't use QT or other...
Win32 api is not cross platform and it is in C
Other GUI libraries as Qt or wxWidgets are not 'black boxes' as are widely used for non Windows desktop environments
Tobias, by far the best GUI library that doesn't look native is FLTK.It's very fast, not bloated, and cross platform.It's also easy to use.And the programs look the same on any operating system for which FLTK is available.
QT is way bloated.170 MB???For a library???
But Tobias, if you want a library whit a lot of feauters, wich QT is, but less bloated, and whit a more permissive license, than the best choice is WxWidgets.But that looks native.And still is big.
Both WxWidgets and FLTK allow to make proprietary software even if you static link.
Just for the hell of being pedantic:
(Note that this was formerly called the Win32 API. The name Windows API more accurately reflects its roots in 16-bit Windows and its support on 64-bit Windows.)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa383723(VS.85).aspx

You usually never make your own classes for a GUI. That's bad advice since not everyone who joins your project has to relearn yet another GUI library. GTK+ and other classes are popular in commercial software because it's portable, free, and mature.

Why would you possibly remake what has been maturing for years?

Anyways, @ andrei c: There is no *best* GUI kit currently. They all have major ups and downs. FLTK isn't the *best* but a valuable choice in the quest for the right GUI Library for the task.
The best GUI that has the same look on all platforms.That's what Tobias asked for. :)
Well in theory, GTK+ and Qt is that also. There's only subtle differences that don't really matter.
Yup, any GUI library allow to derive your own classes and theme them and always use that class for all platforms.I was just saying that by default WxWidgets has native look and FLTK the same look by default.But that's just the default. :)
Just a few things about Qt:

» Qt is a cross-platform application and UI framework, not just a GUI library. Libraries include Advanced GUI, 3D Graphics with OpenGL, Multithreading, Embedded Windowing System, Inter-Object Communication, 2D Graphics, Multimedia Framework, WebKit Integration, Network Connectivity, XML, Scripting Engine, and Database.

» The SDK is 170MB, but it includes Qt Creator cross-platform IDE, Qt libraries Qt Linguist translation & internationalization tools...

» Qt is used in KDE and KOffice to name but two and is used by companies such as Google, VW and Epson.

» Qt is available under the following licenses:

Qt Commercial The Qt Commercial version is the appropriate version to use for the development of proprietary and/or commercial software. This version is for developers who do not want to share the source code with others or otherwise comply with the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License version 2.1 or GNU GPL version 3.0.

Qt GNU LGPL v. 2.1 This version of Qt is appropriate for the development of Qt applications (proprietary or open source) provided you can comply with the terms and conditions contained in the GNU LGPL version 2.1.

Qt GNU GPL v. 3.0 This version of Qt is appropriate for the development of Qt applications where you wish to use such applications in combination with software subject to the terms of the GNU General Public License version 3.0 or where you are otherwise willing to comply with the terms of the GNU General Public License version 3.0.

http://www.qtsoftware.com/

Topic archived. No new replies allowed.