Execute a programm on startup..

Everyone says about
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

I got 6 programms on my startup (as shown from task manager of windows 8)
http://i.imgur.com/B5CXF0p.png
And only one(Viber) is on that registry
http://i.imgur.com/GDafLtl.png
None is at the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
C:\Users\Leon\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
is empty

How are the other 5 programms starting up?
You didn't mention

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Is that also empty?

Andy
Last edited on
Xmm one of them is there (Syntek Monitor Application)

Still wondering where the other 4 are located :D
If you're talking about a 64-bit PC, then you've got the 32-bit apps to think about.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Andy
Goto start (if you still have that on Win8, idk, it's awful XD ) and search for "sys config", it should bring up a program with the full name of "System Configuration"...

On here there's a startup tab, (btw you'll need admin to get at this program), under the startup tab you can simply check/uncheck lots of programs that boot on the windows login.
Please be careful, you don't want to turn off anything like your graphics driver or whatever. If you know what programs you're looking for then it should be strait forward enough.
Please be careful, you don't want to turn off anything like your graphics driver or whatever.

If you refer to AMD Catalyst or Nvidia Control Panel crap these can be safely disabled (I usually get rid of them as only slows down booting process). The driver itself works without them.
Andy finally i found them at

It drives me mad, 4 different ways to have ur program at startup (not counting the current user registrys)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

C:\Users\Leon\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Windows at it's best!

Anyways the right/most-known way to do it is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
?
Writing to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE requires administrator privileges, writing to HKEY_CURRENT_USER does not. For windows xp does not matter, but for modern windows versions it does.
@ OP: Now that we've all made you do it the hard way I'm going to be TFG for a moment: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902

Process Explorer from the same set of tools also has a field under the image tab called "Autostart Location" that gives you the same data but it can only show you processes that are currently running.

OP said:
Anyways the right/most-known way to do it is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
?

There is also "%ALLUSERS%\Start Menu\Programs\Run" (Not sure if that one is still valid on Windows 8).

For Pro versions of Windows there are also local GPO's that you can look at with the "Resultant Set of Policy" MMC plug in. EDIT: I forgot to mention that you can edit these with the "Group Policy Object Editor" MMC plug in.

And for all versions of Windows, Services have an option to start up automatically as well.
Last edited on
modoran wrote:
If you refer to AMD Catalyst or Nvidia Control Panel crap these can be safely disabled

No, I meant the actual drivers... I don't actually think they're accessible off that screen (it is mostly UIs or things like Skype) but under one of the tabs there's a lot of processes on boot up too, not just logon.
If the OP has common sense it should be fine
SatsumaBenji wrote:
Goto start (if you still have that on Win8, idk, it's awful XD ) and search for "sys config", it should bring up a program with the full name of "System Configuration"

That is a typo, SatsumaBenji meant to put "msconfig" where I italicized the text. Searching for that may happen to resolve to the correct utility but it is not the name of the executable.
Well... The executable file does have the name "msconfig.exe" but if you just look for "sys config" on your start menu it shows the utility labelled as "System Configuration" because this is what the utility is for.

The name of a lot of applications can be something like "launch.exe", you don't call the program "launch" do you?

e.g. Cyberlink Power Director is under PDR.exe, although this would be a fine name, not many people would know what you meant without its proper name.
Last edited on
That is true and your point is taken, I'm sorry for being pedantic. In this case though since it is so old it is generally referred to as "msconfig" (Em-Ess-Config). You'll also have a more difficult time trying to find documentation about it online if you search for it by the name "System Configuration".
Yes well I do also know that "msconfig" is probably a very commonly known application name among places like this. And yeah I imagine it would be much easier finding results for that rather than "System Configuration"

Lets say it's about even XD
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.