Strange jump executing get_accName. (but it works fine in MS VC++ and MinGW/Upp and mingw win32 app)

Pages: 12
Hi all

I have this code in a button pressed event:
IAccessible* accessibleFrame = NULL;
if (S_OK != AccessibleObjectFromWindow((HWND)GetHWND(),OBJID_CLIENT,IID_IAccessible, (void**) & accessibleFrame))
{
     return;
}
VARIANT varID;
varID.lVal = CHILDID_SELF;
varID.vt = VT_I4;

BSTR MyBstr = L"Just to init it                                                ";
HRESULT hr = accessibleFrame->get_accName(varID, &MyBstr);

wxMessageBox("Done", "Done", wxYES_NO | wxCANCEL, this);

When I debug it, step by step, everything works fine until get_accName instruction line. When this instruction is executed, the execution stream jumps to appbase.cpp ti the followinf method:

#if wxUSE_EXCEPTIONS
Void wxAppConsoleBase::HandleEvent(wxEvtHandler *handler,
                              wxEventFunction func,
                              wxEvent& event) const
{
// by default, simply call the handler
 (handler->*func)(event);

If I continue to press F7, the execution stream jumps again to get_accName and then again to HandleEvent(). What is happening?

If I press shift+F7 in the get_accName call, the flow jumps to HandleEvent in the same way. Is there any way to step into get_accName?

Can not understand what is going on. the execution stream never reachs wxMessageBox()

I also surrounded get_accName like this:
try
    {
        HRESULT hr = accessibleFrame->get_accName(varID, &MyBstr);
    }
    catch(char* strg)
    {
        wxMessageBox("Hello", "Hello", wxYES_NO | wxCANCEL, this);
    }

but catch is never called either…

Any help would be very appreciated

I tested this code in MS VC++ and it runs well...

Alex

Env: codeblocks, mingw, win7, WxSmith and DEBUG configuration
This code works fine when I use ms vc++ (using MS compiler), when I use Mingw and Ultima++ and when I use the same codeblocks and mingw with a win32 app

Is it WxWidgets the main problem?
Last edited on
Try it with minGW-w64from here:
http://tdragon.net/recentgcc/

You need to recompile all libraries and add -m32 to compiler and linker flags if you want to build for X86.
which \bin folder sloud I use in codeblocks? There is 2 folders containning compiler tools... I am confused... :-(
C:\TDM-GCC-64 if you used default install path. Code::Blocks should autodetect it anyway.
Now, when I compile something (simple) it says:

ld.exe||cannot find -lwxmsw30u|

in both release and debug configuration :-(

I searched and I found only:
wxmsw30ud_gl_gcc_custom.dll
wxmsw30ud_gcc_custom.dll
wxmsw30u_gl_gcc_custom.dll
wxmsw30u_gcc_custom.dll
( compiled with previous mingw/codeblocks verion)

I did not compiled Wxwidgets with this new minggw. should I?

Alex

Yes, all libraries must be compiled using the same compiler and same compiler options. Beware that for compiling wxwidgets as X86 you must also specify -m32 as CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS and LDFLAGS if you use the makefile.gcc.
Error while cmpilling wxwidgets...

C:\wxWidgets-3.0.0\build\msw>mingw32-make.exe -f makefile.g
cc BUILD=release SHARED=1 MONOLITHIC=1 UNICODE=1 CFLAGS="-m32" CXXFLAGS="-m32" L
DFLAGS="-m32"

gw32/bin/ld.exe: i386:x86-64 architecture of input file `gcc_mswudll\monodll_ver
sion_rc.o' is incompatible with i386 output
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
makefile.gcc:5202: recipe for target '..\..\lib\gcc_dll\wxmsw30u_gcc_custom.dll'
failed
mingw32-make.exe: *** [..\..\lib\gcc_dll\wxmsw30u_gcc_custom.dll] Error 1

Alex
Yes, I forgot about that ...

You need to invoke windres using windres -F pe-i386 while compiling for X86 either by pathching the makefile or just just replace windres.exe with the one from minGW-32 (the old one that came with codeblocks). It could be possible to set RCFLAGS too, but I haven't tested this.

This trick is also required while compiling your application if you use any resource file.

Read build\msw\config.gcc, at the end it says:

# Windows resource compiler to use, possibly including extra options.
# For example, add "-F pe-i386" here if using 64 bit windres for 32 bit build.
WINDRES ?= windres --use-temp-file
Last edited on
I replaced the file and executed the same command and now I got:

c:/tdm-gcc-64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/4.8.1/../../../../x86_64-w64-min
gw32/bin/ld.exe: i386:x86-64 architecture of input file `gcc_mswuddll\monodll_ve
rsion_rc.o' is incompatible with i386 output
makefile.gcc:5202: recipe for target '..\..\lib\gcc_dll\wxmsw30ud_gcc_custom.dll
' failed
mingw32-make.exe: *** [..\..\lib\gcc_dll\wxmsw30ud_gcc_custom.dll] Error 1

:-( Sorry all these messages but I can not solve this alone...

Alex
Do a makefile clean and rebuild.
As for replacing, is not a very good idea after all, adding WINDRES="windres --use-temp-file -F pe-i386" to build command will do the trick.

However, this is not your problem, as you replaced the file, do a cleanup and rebuild.

I just tested this without replacing windres.exe and it worked.
Last edited on
C:\wxWidgets-3.0.0\build\msw>mingw32-make.exe -f makefile.gcc clean

cc BUILD=release SHARED=1 MONOLITHIC=1 UNICODE=1 CFLAGS="-m32" CXXFLAGS="-m32" L
DFLAGS="-m32"

c:/tdm-gcc-64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/4.8.1/../../../../x86_64-w64-min
gw32/bin/ld.exe: i386:x86-64 architecture of input file `gcc_mswuddll\monodll_ve
rsion_rc.o' is incompatible with i386 output
makefile.gcc:5202: recipe for target '..\..\lib\gcc_dll\wxmsw30ud_gcc_custom.dll
' failed
mingw32-make.exe: *** [..\..\lib\gcc_dll\wxmsw30ud_gcc_custom.dll] Error 1

So, I am trying now not to overwrite that file.

Modoran, do you mean simple execute this:

cc BUILD=release SHARED=1 MONOLITHIC=1 UNICODE=1 CFLAGS="-m32" CXXFLAGS="-m32" LDFLAGS="-m32" WINDRES="windres --use-temp-file -F pe-i386"

This returns an error too...

Where to put WINDRES="windres --use-temp-file -F pe-i386" ?
Last edited on
Run EXACTLY this command-line while in build/msw:

mingw32-make.exe -f makefile.gcc BUILD=release SHARED=1 MONOLITHIC=1 UNICODE=1 CFLAGS="-m32" CXXFLAGS="-m32" LDFLAGS="-m32" WINDRES="windres --use-temp-file -F pe-i386"

Replacing original windres.exe is NOT required, I used untouched Mingw-w64 installation and it just worked.

Folders lib/gcc_dll and build/msw/gcc_mswudll should NOT exists upon mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc clean.

You could also add CFG=mynewfolderhere if you want to build in another folder.
Last edited on
Great! WxWidgets compile now with success....
By the way, if in the future I will need to compile it in 64 bit format which commandline options should I changed?

Thanks a lot Modoran!!

Alex
Last edited on
To compile for 64 bit just remove -m32 switch AND you must use original windres.exe that came with MinGw-w64 (wxwidgets will compile with it using command line I give it to you).

Also -F pe-i386 is NOT required for windres when compiling for X64.

Alternatively, use -m64 instead of -m32 and -F pe-x86-64, but again, this is the default anyway.
Last edited on
Returning to the first message one application (WxWidgets, dialog), now, when I compile that application I see:

ld.exe cannot find -lwxmsw30ud

I compiled WxWidgets with SHARED=1 and SHARED=0 both for RELEASE and DEbUG

That lib exists:

libwxmsw30ud.a and libwxmsw30u.a in C:\wxWidgets-3.0.0\lib\gcc_dll. this path is configured in "search directories | linker" but it seems that it is not found

Alex
Last edited on
Enable "full command line logging" on codeblocks settings to see what exactly it does.

http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ-Compiling_%28errors%29

As far as I know, GNU ld linker will throw that error too if you pass a static library instead of a dynamic one (yes, I know is misleading).
Last edited on
I tried to understand and fix that but did not foound how to...

-------------- Build: Debug in yyyyyyyyyyyyy (compiler: GNU GCC Compiler)---------------

windres.exe -IC:\wxWidgets-3.0.0\include -IC:\wxWidgets-3.0.0\lib\gcc_dll\mswud -J rc -O coff -i C:\YYYYYY~1\resource.rc -o obj\Debug\resource.res
x86_64-w64-mingw32-g++.exe -pipe -mthreads -D__GNUWIN32__ -D__WXMSW__ -DWXUSINGDLL -DwxUSE_UNICODE -Wall -g -D__WXDEBUG__ -IC:\wxWidgets-3.0.0\include -IC:\wxWidgets-3.0.0\lib\gcc_dll\mswud -c C:\yyyyyyyyyyyyy\yyyyyyyyyyyyyApp.cpp -o obj\Debug\yyyyyyyyyyyyyApp.o
x86_64-w64-mingw32-g++.exe -pipe -mthreads -D__GNUWIN32__ -D__WXMSW__ -DWXUSINGDLL -DwxUSE_UNICODE -Wall -g -D__WXDEBUG__ -IC:\wxWidgets-3.0.0\include -IC:\wxWidgets-3.0.0\lib\gcc_dll\mswud -c C:\yyyyyyyyyyyyy\yyyyyyyyyyyyyMain.cpp -o obj\Debug\yyyyyyyyyyyyyMain.o
x86_64-w64-mingw32-g++.exe -LC:\wxWidgets-3.0.0\lib\gcc_dll -o bin\Debug\yyyyyyyyyyyyy.exe obj\Debug\yyyyyyyyyyyyyApp.o obj\Debug\yyyyyyyyyyyyyMain.o obj\Debug\resource.res -mthreads -lwxmsw30ud -mwindows
c:/tdm-gcc-64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/4.8.1/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: skipping incompatible C:\wxWidgets-3.0.0\lib\gcc_dll/libwxmsw30ud.a when searching for -lwxmsw30ud
c:/tdm-gcc-64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/4.8.1/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: skipping incompatible C:\wxWidgets-3.0.0\lib\gcc_dll\libwxmsw30ud.a when searching for -lwxmsw30ud
c:/tdm-gcc-64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/4.8.1/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: skipping incompatible C:\wxWidgets-3.0.0\lib\gcc_dll/libwxmsw30ud.a when searching for -lwxmsw30ud
c:/tdm-gcc-64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/4.8.1/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -lwxmsw30ud

Well, you are trying to compile a X64 application using X86 version of wxWidgets.

Pass -m32 as compiler and linker flags too. This switch is required for every library that you use, not only for wxWidgets.

Also, it is original windres.exe ? Because if you did not add -F pe-i386 you will get an error, see:
windres.exe -IC:\wxWidgets-3.0.0\include -IC:\wxWidgets-3.0.0\lib\gcc_dll\mswud -J rc -O coff -i C:\YYYYYY~1\resource.rc -o obj\Debug\resource.res

You must read:
windres.exe -IC:\wxWidgets-3.0.0\include -IC:\wxWidgets-3.0.0\lib\gcc_dll\mswud -J rc -O coff -F pe-i386 -i C:\YYYYYY~1\resource.rc -o obj\Debug\resource.res
Last edited on
Sorry, i can not find window in codeblocks where to specify that flag...

It seems that using a 64 bit compiler brings confusion to me (beginner on these tools) but it seems also that traditional 32 bit compiler does not executes get_accName() method in good conditions...

:-(

project -> build options -> compiler settings -> other options
project -> build options -> linker settings -> other linker options
Pages: 12