Extreme Noob

Hello,

I am loving this website for simple tutorials and I am happy to join the community.

Funny thing is, I am finding the actual coding to be the easiest part of my C++ class. The compilers and gitHub are giving me far more trouble.

I am hoping someone on here can help me get this right on my Win 7 64 bit machine. If someone would be willing to get ahold of me via chat, it would be appreciated (gmail?)

Pretty much this is my issue(s). I had everything running the other day. Well, I wanted to change where I saved my projects to my desktop. I am using cygwin64 and I did "define environmental variables" before. I did not know what I was doing though, and now I am getting errors when I try to compile projects made in my new folder.

I am also trying to set up my gitHub account and from what I am seeing, it is conflicting with cygwin64. My mind is kind of frazzled at this point after troubleshooting this for an hour. Since I installed msysgit (found that on a youtube video), all my netBeans compiled programs give me the following note: " bash.exe: warning: could not find /tmp, please create! "

Beyond that, I feel I have a good grasp on making repositories, pushing/pulling, etc.

Please give me some advice on how to get these programs straightened out for I can focus on coding.

Thank you.
wanted to change where I saved my projects to my desktop. I am using cygwin64 and I did "define environmental variables" before. I did not know what I was doing though, and now I am getting errors when I try to compile projects made in my new folder.
How do you compile a project?

I am also trying to set up my gitHub account and from what I am seeing, it is conflicting with cygwin64
I just can't imaging how a remote git repo can affect cygwin. So it would be helpful if you started from the beginning.
1. How are you accessing github?
2. What makes you think there's a problem?

Please give me some advice on how to get these programs straightened out for I can focus on coding.
It's going to take a while. You haven't actually described the problem, or what you do, and how your once working config has become broken.
Just something to note: cygwin is getting a fully functional UNIX-like system on windows. MSYS is the MinGW equivalent, though it is simply designed as a way to be able to do things like use GNU Autotools and things like that. I presume msysgit was designed to be used with MSYS (MinGW), and hence Windows, while Cygwin strives as hard as it can to not even know that it is running in Windows.

What errors are you getting when compiling projects? What compiler? What IDE (are you using one)? Did you start the IDE from within cygwin or did you start it externally? Have you set the compiler variables (CC, etc.)to the correct paths for your programs (the types of paths that the IDE will recognise)? If you can answer a few things like this, we can probably help a bit.
Do you ever used some Linux operating system ?

Why did you install cygwin on your Windows machine ?

Do you know what cygwin is ? These days not much people uses it and it is absolutely useless if you want to write windows programs.
Hello,

Thank you for your support last night. Yes, I was very frustrated last night and realize I left out a lot of information; however, I am also just very new so some information I am going to leave out because I do not realize it's relevant or I am just ignorant. So thank you in advance for putting up with that.

I was able to fix just about everything today. The issue I had? Well, programs were not compiling in my new folder because I had semi-colons in the folder's name. I believe that was the root of almost all of my issues last night.

More of my background: I am just starting in computer programming. I have no professional background in computers, but I have enjoyed using them for many years and am the type that games, builds them, overclocks, and tries to make them efficient. But yes, I have no linux experience (just put ubuntu on my PC the other day.) I barely understand what cygwin is.

Like cygwin, I believe MSYS or the git system to be just a linux program running on my PC in order to make code and access the git system. Feel free to enlighten me.

I am using netBeans.

Again, everything seems to be working fine now. The only issue I haven't worked out is that I keep getting this warning every time I compile a program, but it still executes.

bash.exe: warning: could not find /tmp, please create!

If anyone could shed light on that, that would be nice.

Thanks again,

Jon
bash.exe: warning: could not find /tmp, please create!

Open a cygwin terminal and type:

mkdir /tmp

You probably mistakenly deleted it while cleaning up.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.