Code::Blocks and Visual Studio

Hi there,

I have been using Code::Blocks for all my C++ programs and it all works fine.
But for the course I am doing, Visual Studio is used.

When I copy my Code::Blocks code into a Visual Studio Win32 Console Application, it returns numerous errors.

Why does my code work in Code::Blocks and not in Visual Studio??

Thanks
What errors are you getting? We can't help otherwise... are you setting up the project correctly? Have you linked to all the necessary files? Make sure you have checked the basic stuff.
Visual Studio supports ISO C++ Standard. Code::Blocks does not respect this standard. Program written in Code::Blocks can contain parts not compatible with C++ which compiler in Visual Studio is unable to compile.
@ Arnost: Citation Neede. Seriously though I would like to know if that accusation is founded in anything. These types of things are worth keeping track of.

@ OP: Does VS still throw a fit if you forget to include that (approximate name) "stdafx.h" file?
As far as I know, @Arnost is talking about how GCC (being the default compiler for Code::Blocks) allows by default a number of extensions that were developed (in my opinion) because some people were lazy, such as variable length arrays on the stack in the form int a = someFunc(); int array[a];, and so on. However, GCC does fully conform to the standard (apart from some threading stuff, AFAIK), as long as you remember to explicitly specify that you are programming according to the standard (e.g, specify -std=c++11).

If you do turn this on, then from my experience you get problems the other way round, due to Visual Studio entire lack of C99 support and the various extensions that Visual Studio also supports by default (void main being the most common).
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.