hWnd = CreateWindowEx(
		WS_EX_CLIENTEDGE,
		(LPWSTR)g_szClassName,
		_T("Win32 App Demo"),
		WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW | WS_VSCROLL,
		CW_USEDEFAULT, CW_USEDEFAULT, 500, 1000,
		NULL, NULL, hInstance, NULL);

The vertical scrollbar works fine.

My problem is that I am going to display a large number of lines of text on the window, way more than will show on a app with a reasonable height. I need to have the window stay the same size but be able to scroll down past its end and display text below as text above scrolls off the top. I need my app window to act like the content window on this forum when you are posting a message to the forum.

Is there a way to do this and if yes how?
if you are printing text in some kind of window, like EDIT or RICHEDIT, add scrollbars to it?

Thank you again for replying. I am a good Java programmer but am feeling my way into C++.

I had tried to put scrollbars on a rich edit before I tried them on the main app window because I was pretty sure it wouldn't do what I wanted (and I was right) but I couldn't get the scrollbars to show on the rich edit.

I did some more digging, figured out what I was missing, and now my rich edit has scroll bars! So I'm perfectly happy with a rich edit but I need to be able to catch when the user types the '\n" at the end of a line so I can get his one-line input and process it.

I have tried

LRESULT eventMask = SendMessage(g_hRichEdit, EM_GETEVENTMASK, 0, 0);
	eventMask |= ENM_SCROLL | ENM_CHANGE | ENM_SELCHANGE | ENM_KEYEVENTS | EM_EXSETSEL;
	SendMessage(g_hRichEdit, EM_SETEVENTMASK, 0, eventMask);

and catching EN_MSGFILTER in my WndProc and RichEditProc; the message doesn't get caught.

I know this isn't the subject of this post but do you know how to do this?
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.