good book about Windows

Hi, I know basics of C++, including templates
but I am tired of studying without trying the 'real-world c++'
So in the past few days I searched for a book about C++ and
Windows Programming (I don't want C++/CLI book).
I only found very old book (1990 - 2000)..
Any suggestion?
I want a book about GUI Programming, not programming the system (like Windows Via C/C++).
Thanks in advance.

Programming Windows, from Charles Petzold (http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Windows%C2%AE-Fifth-Microsoft/dp/157231995X/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_3).

It is old, I think 1999, but it shows the absolute perfect and correct way of programming Windows. If you just know the basics of C++ and nothing about Windows, do yourself a BIG favor and learn the correct way of programming Windows, now that you are not corrupted by other influences.

I must warn you though, that GDI+ did not exist when this book was published. This book even predates Windows 2000. The graphics part of the user interface will probably require substitiution.

I don't program GUI's in C++ (here comes the flaming from Disch et. al.! LOL!) because I find it too cumbersome when compared to RAD tools like .Net, but others (as we will see) disagree. Bottom line is: I can't help out when GUI comes to play.
I took a look at the book you suggested but it's too old.
Ok, if I want to learn GUI programming... what can be the best GUI Toolkit to start with? (WxWidget, Qt, GTK etc...)?
I think Qt is the best because it's totally OOP.
You don't need any external libraries on Windows.
Qt is quasi not used on the market in Europe.
You can do everything with Win32 api (in particular with all new or advanced controls and gdi+)
I agree with george135.

Further more, if you want Real World Windows GUI C++, you should learn MFC.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
I agree that it is worth learning Windows API is worth while and that Petzold is the best book to start with, however there is no getting away with the fact that Petzold is getting dated, it would be nice to see an updated version. GDI+ is even being superseded by Direct2D.

New/updated books on native programming would be nice to see, however I get the distinct impression that Microsoft want new programmers to use the .net framework and a deliberately holding back on native info. There was meant to be a book published called Modern Native Code with Microsoft Visual C++: Using MFC but that seems to have not materialized. MFC is also not available in the lower editions of VC, such as express.

I learnt windows using Petzold way back in 1993 era - I thought the original from that time is one of the best/useful programming books I've read.
But then he moved away from C and went over to C# and I think that version is near as good.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.