How to share my code with my friends.

I’ve written a console application that “screen scrapes” data from various websites and produces an Intranet website on your local disk as output. To keep it simple all of my data input is in the form of tab delimited text files. I want to share the program with a few of my friends who are not computer geeks. I’m using Visual Studio 2008 and I’ve never shared code with anyone who does not have the development environment already on their PC.

It uses Windows.h, but does not have any windows form interface. It also uses wininet.h to read various web pages.

Is there an easy way to produce an EXE file that will run standalone? What is the best way to create a distributable version for my friends?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

PapaGeek
Last edited on
The best way to share your code with your friends is to just have them install the CRT for that version of Visual Studios. That's assuming they don't already have it. This will also make it easier for you to share future projects with them as well.

I'm feeling good today, so I'll even save you a trip to Google: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29
Is there no way to make visual studio include all the necessary support code in a single EXE?
if your application only uses win32 it should already work on any windows. Just build it as Release version.
Last edited on
tath is probably right for 80% of the cases. But if you run into any issues where your application is crashing, install the CRT.
I agree with Computergeek01
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.