Script to access and make changes to a remote PC

I am looking to build a program which I will execute from my desktop and it will take input an xml file. Using the values in the xml file the program will access multiple remote PCs and make changes in the registry and other files.
The xml file will contain a couple of remote desktop names,
credentials to access those remote desktops,
registry path,
key name,
key value to be replaced.

Is this program possible?
If yes, then what language to use and is there any website or book that I can learn this stuff from?
I have never done any windows scripting or anything like this so I need guidence to build this program.
Is this program possible?

Yes.

... what language to use ...?

Batch, C, C++, C#, VBScript, JavaScript, Python, PERL, Powershell, etc. basically any language that supports Windows.

... is there any website or book that I can learn this stuff from?

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bg126469.aspx

I have never done any windows scripting or anything like this so I need guidence to build this program.

Well we're here to help if you have any specific questions. There is a lot involved in what you are trying to do and a few ways of accomplishing it. I normally try to discourage people from poking around in the registry so I have to ask; what specifically are you trying to do?
Last edited on
At my workplace we have a lot of servers where different jobs run. The pwds for these jobs are encrypted and stored in registry. The pwds have to be changed every 6 months. This pwd change is manual...meaning for each pwd the user has to open the registry and change pwd. different pwds have different kinds of encryption and different registry keys or config files.
I was right then, you are approaching this problem from an awkward angle. Who\What is the logon authority? I promise you that any commercial product will have an API of some sort to accomplish this. Even if you're dealing with multiple authorities across multiple products then interacting with each one is STILL going to be easier then what you are proposing to do.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.