Find the cause of Windows Freeze

I have written a C++ program which will use DirectX to play video on Windows environment.

The situation is that my clients using my program to play video, and the PC will be frozen randomly after about 3-5 weeks. The PC frozen with the last video and not moving. (Network and mouse didn't work). And i have checked the windows log, and seems no dump file and mini dump on windows, so i have no idea what caused it. Ant it has happened on several PC on my clients environment. Do you guy have any suggestion that i can troubleshoot the problem?

Do you guy think that it will caused by the DirectX i used on the C++ program, if yes, how can i debug it, as when PC freeze, nothing i can do...

Thanks.
This could be literally anything. Have their onsite helpdesk verify that it isn't an environmental issue such as heating, is the system on a UPS or is it just plugged into a powerstrip with 10 other devices, have them make sure the RAM is good by running MemTest or swapping out the modules, tell them to run a check disk etc. Is this a newer system or did they just pull some ancient Windows 2K box out of a storage closet because "... it only has to play a few videos ..." (this is only partially hyperbole). There is no reason to just assume that this is your application causing the issue yet, you have to perform due diligence.

If you run your app on a local test machine of yours, can you recreate this issue? Yes the time frame is a bit ridiculous but if it is a fault in your app then it's worth noting.

EDIT: Find out what you can about where the computer is, my bet would be a thermal issue because of the time frame, but nothing is off the table yet. You wouldn't believe the places that people stick dedicated video players just so that they are out of the way. I've actually installed computers behind sheetrock before because that's what the client paid me to do.
Last edited on
Have your program generate a log file.
Make sure to flush it often.
This is a new system.

One point i found may be related so far is that:
If they use the on-broad display and an external display together and show video using both display, the problem will happen. But if they use 2 external display and show video using 2 external display, the problem seems not happened so far...

For the log, it Should have been flushed, but will the log make the PC freeze??

Thanks
@ OP: First read and avoid this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

Then tell us if their support team was able to give you anymore data or run anymore tests.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.