Execute a program, but repress its error message

I have an update/configuration program in C++ that, once it finishes checking updates, is supposed to branch off and execute the full application.

That part is no problem:
ShellExecute(NULL, NULL, "kiosk.exe", NULL, NULL, SW_HIDE);

What IS more of a problem is what happens when kiosk.exe starts. The program, a 3D design utility, uses a game engine optimized for desktop applications. But as this is being run on a Windows tablet, the lack of a mouse interface causes the program to produce an error. While it's not much problem to tap "OK" on the error and let it finish loading, this is not a convenient solution for the end users, who would likely complain that they always have to dismiss the error.

I have looked into hooking so that I might bypass the MessageBox, but haven't found anything functional that accomplishes this task. I've also tried sending ENTER and SPACE virtual keystrokes, but this succeeds only about half the time.

Any thoughts on this? Alternately, any thoughts on how to make DirectInput believe there is a mouse when there isn't?
if you wanna get it done quickly... i would just crack the exe and suppress the message as long as "kiosk.exe" isnt getting modified all the time
Last edited on
That's a very interesting idea. I will play around with the engine and see if I can accomplish that.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.