Multithreading in C++

Hi all,
I'm a beginner programer in VC++. I have two functions that I'm calling from the main function. I want to control the time that each function run for. I'm illustrarting below with the following simple code:

#include <stdafx.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <windows.h>
#include <set>
#include <conio.h>
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int a,b,c,d;
int function1(int, int);
int function2(int);

int main(){

cout << "Enter a: ";
	cin >> a;
	cout << "Enter b: ";
	cin >> b;
	function1(a,b);
	function2(c);

return 0;
} /* End of Main */

int function1(int a, int b){

c = (2*(a+b))-(3*b);
	cout << "c= " << c << "\n";
	return c;
} /* End of function1 */

int function2(int c){

d = (2*c)+(c-3);
	cout << "d= " << d << "\n";

return d;
}/* End of function2 */

I want for instance to run function1 for 10ms and function2 for 50 ms. I know one of the ways to do this is multithreading using Mutex, yet I have no experience in multithreading. I tried to read about it but honestly it was beyond my knowledge of the language to understand the sample code. So I was hoping to find an easy way maybe using timers, waitbar timers or anything else. I don't want to use Sleep(ms) to achieve as I want to have full control of the running time.

Any help would be appreicated.
Last edited on
Well, let me dig up my code and find an example of threading...
I think this should work. Let me know if it doesn't and I'll give you a more literal copy:
#include <windows.h>

struct parameters{
	//whatever parameters thread0 needs
};

DWORD thread0(void *params){
	parameters *a=(parameters *)params;
	//put parameters into separate variables, if you want
	//thread0's body
}

//I like to use this function to start threads more easily
HANDLE newThread(LPTHREAD_START_ROUTINE routine,LPVOID parameters,int priority=0){
	HANDLE res=CreateThread(0,0,routine,parameters,0,0);
	if (priority)
		SetThreadPriority(res,priority);
	return res;
}

int main(){
	parameters *thread0data=new parameters;
	//initialize thread0data
	HANDLE *thread0handle=newThread(thread0,thread0data);
	//Let's suppose you want to wait 100 ms (10 is below the granularity of Sleep(), if I remember correctly)
	Sleep(100);
	//http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms684335(VS.85).aspx
	thread0handle=OpenThread(THREAD_TERMINATE,0,GetThreadId(thread0handle));
	if (!thread0handle){
		//OpenThread() has failed. Deal with the error here.
	}
	//http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms686717(VS.85).aspx
	TerminateThread(thread0handle,0);
	//do other stuff
	return 0;
}

For more information, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms684847(VS.85).aspx
Thanks helios for the info, but where can I specify the sampling time (frequency) that I want every thread to run. Is it possible to do it?

And thanks Zaita for the link
What exactly do you mean by "sampling time (frequency)"? This doesn't take samples of how long it has passed. It's simply one thread executing while another waits a certain amount of time and then immediately kills the other thread. There's no sampling.
Hi, I'm a newbie in C++ programming on Win Operative Systems.
I'm a little confused about Multithreading in Visual C++. I wrote some image processing libraries on Linux using some computer Vision and Image Compressing Libraries those are portable. Now I reduced my portabiliy problems on Threading code... In Linux I've got Posix Thread, but in Visual C++ I've got .NET Threading system, Multithreading C with Win32 (from COM i suppose (?)) and Multithreading with MFC... What most considereable differences are between these systems... What would you suggest me for multithreading image processing?
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.