Advice for starting C++

Hey I am going to be starting studying C++ in about a week when I have a lot of free time and I was looking for some advice on what materials I will need. I have experience in java, I have taken 2 java classes at my college. I am starting classes at university in a month and one of our classes is C++/Math class and I have no C++ experience. The counselor said its ok I dont have C++ experience but im not so sure about that.

I have read Java: Introduction to Problem Solving and Programming (5th Edition) by Frank Carrano and am still reading Thinking in Java by Bruce Eckel.

The two books assigned for my C++/Math class are Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications by Kenneth Rosen and Data Abstraction & Problem Solving with C++ (5th Edition) by Frank Carrano.

I wanted advice to whether I need to purchase a beginner C++ book and if so some recommendations or if I can start with the 2 assigned books for my upcoming class.
Last edited on
Do you have any C experience? If so, you will find C++ very simple to learn. C++ is just mainly C with classes and many new features which make it much more convenient and object oriented.

I first did Java just like you and I found it very convenient and useful in learning C, as the latter is a more rudimentary language. I googled for you one seemingly nice tutorial that you can try out:

http://einstein.drexel.edu/courses/Comp_Phys/General/C_basics/

You will probably find it very familiar to what you already learned, except for when you will get into pointers. Pointers is one of the fundamentals in both C and C++, although it is not present in Java.

Overall, C++ is in between C and Java, as it has both the procedural aspect of C and the object oriented possibilities (and even more) as Java does.

Hope I helped you!
closed account (Gz64jE8b)
Java is a derivative of C++, if you know Java you should understand C++ fairly easily.
closed account (1vRz3TCk)
shane01101, this may seem like an odd question but are you interested in learning C++ or learning enough to get you through the C++/Math class?

If you want to learn C++ then yes a good book on the language would be worth while, somthing like C++ Primer (Lippman et al).[1]

If you want to just get through the course (i.e. that will be the extent of your involvement with C++) then it may not be worth getting a book, you could try this sites tutorials[2] and see how you get on and there are plenty of people here that are willing to help out if you get stuck.

Thanks for the advice and links they were helpful. I want to actually learn C++ because I am trying to become a software engineer when I graduate. I bought Accelerated C++ for $21, a very good deal. My teacher also said I don't need to know any C++ and provided me with link to free book Thinking in C++ 2nd edition Volume 1 and 2. I am reading Thinking in Java currently and think its a great book, I hope Thinking in C++ is just as good, if not better. I have 2 java books I am going to read which is Thinking In java, then read Effective Java, and finally accelerated C++ within a month to refresh my programming skills. I havent done any programming in almost 3 months need to get started.
Screw all these good books... A good project is needed :D
You learn most by doing so it would not be advisable to just read book after book without any practical hands-on experience. A balance is needed. You can read book but along the way set some small assignment for practising. Best is to have a small project that you can utilize what you have learn from the whole book into the project. This is what I call learning and doing. Learning without doing indicates you maybe academic-inclined but not hands-on inclined.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.