Creating an installer for my program

not sure where to post this but I'm using visual studio 2010 and I'm trying to create an installer for my program, problem is my program requires the path environment to be modified before I can run my installer, is there any way that I can automatically change the windows path using my installer before actually running my installer.

using the default windows installer project with VS2010 to create the installer.
Why does the PATH need to be changed? Is there something preventing you from explicitly spelling out the directories?

This seems like a very simular issue to your own: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vcgeneral/thread/f34a6d67-74a9-487b-bd34-24f17cd23997

Your executable itself will try to access the files one of two ways. The first way is to find the files implicitly by using the PATH environment variables and opening the first file that matches that name (do you see the inherint flaw in this already?). The next way to do this is to access the file explicitly which means that you are spelling out the directiories and paths to the files letter by letter, this also has potential problems such as you acessing the wrong version of the file because it was modified by a different process or it isn't up to date or a number of other things.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.