change OS?

I just came up with an imagination about changing path where
software's installed.

When I setup an application on Windows vista(or 7),
the installed path is different from windows XP. right?

What i want to do is that i want to change the installed path on Windows Vista or 7 into the same path as windows XP.

I guess, if i send message of windows version to the applicatioin i am installing, it would misunderstand the OS version. So, i would set the installed path of Windows XP.

Isn't it possible?

If it is, i am looking forward to your answer.

Thanks.

Phiru wrote:
When I setup an application on Windows vista(or 7),
the installed path is different from windows XP. right?

What i want to do is that i want to change the installed path on Windows Vista or 7 into the same path as windows XP.

This is not true. All three OS' install software in %SystemDrive%\Program files by default.

Phiru wrote:
I guess, if i send message of windows version to the applicatioin i am installing, it would misunderstand the OS version. So, i would set the installed path of Windows XP.

What message is that one??? First time I ever hear about it. AFAIK, installers call GetVersionEx() (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms724451(v=vs.85).aspx ) to determine the OS version. If you want to trick an installer, then you can use a shim DLL.
Sorry I'm a little frazzled today, and still working on my first cup of coffee but are you looking for "setx"?: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755104(WS.10).aspx
Thanks all.

By the ways, webjose as you said, intalleres call GetVersionEx() once starting install.

My hope is to send Message like SetVersionEx() set to Windows XP to the installers.

If it's possible, the installers would recognize that OS is windows XP even though os is windows vista or up.

This is just all my thought.
There is no such thing as SetVersionEx(). The version of the OS is read-only. The only thing that you can do is apply a shim DLL to the installer using the compatibility tools provided by Microsoft.
I understand what you said.

I was just curious about that if it is possible.

Conclusively, it is not possible, right?

Thanks.
Only possible via a shim DLL.
mscoree.dll is same as shim dll??
Windows just write for example the string XPSP2 in a registry key to mark a program run in compatibility mode (i can't tell you where, as I write this from my phone right now, but it is very easy to find).
Don't really know if it is only used by explorer or not, but you could do the same as windows do, then call ShellExecute().
mscoree.dll is .Net.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.