how to build and run sample credential provider

hi,
i m using 64 bit windows 7,windows SDK 7.1,samplecredentialprovider samples for windows vista.
i have followed all instuctions as given in the word document .
still m not able to find out where prob lies.
i m able to successfully build but after copying dll file to system32 folder and run .reg file in explorer and click on switch user ,i m not gettin new sample admin and guest account.
pls help me out, i hve to start with my project for my academics and m stuck at d begining itself.

thank u
Did you change anything in the sample, or are you compiling it without change? Did you import the .reg file using a 32-bit or a 64-bit tool? Are you certain you compiled a 64-bit DLL?
i hve changed only GUID as they hve instructed in the word document .

what does importin .reg file using 32 bit tool or 64 bit tool mean? plssss explain . i have just copied .reg file to my test machine (ie virtual OS which s again 64bit windows 7).

ya i hve compiled 64bit DLL but only on host machine should i do it on test machine also ?
and pls let me know platform settings which s currently set to x64 at active solution platform .

i am a student and new to this concept . plsssss explain bit clearly .

thank u
Windows Vista and Windows 7 virtualizes certain areas of the Windows registry so there are different "views" of the registry for 32-bit applications and 64-bit applications. In other words, a 32-bit application cannot see or modify certain things of the 64-bit registry and vice versa. You should read more about this topic. Search for WOW64 or Windows On Windows.

So, the registry file is most likely good for either platform (32 or 64-bit), but you must use a 64-bit registry tool to import the .reg file into the Windows Registry. The safest bet is to open regedit.exe (and then make sure it is a 64-bit process using task manager: The process name will show "*32" in the name if it is a 32-bit process) and then import the reg file through its File menu.

So, if by "I have just copied .reg file to my test machine" you mean exactly that, then you are missing the import into the registry part. Just make sure you import using a 64-bit regedit.exe.

FYI, %SystemRoot%\System32 contains 64-bit executables and DLL's, while %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64 contains 32-bit executables and DLL's.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.