Rendering

Pages: 12
xander333 wrote:
Disch you shouldn't apologize for telling him the truth.

I didn't apologize for what I said, I apologized for the manner in which I said it.

I still think he's better off (in more ways than 1) to use a higher level rendering lib like SFML et al., but I shouldnt've been a prick about it.

Catch more flies with honey, etc, etc.
Whatever guys, I just want to amuse myself a little. If you have pointers or hints that would be great, otherwise I don't need another person telling me that I can't do it.

- Kyle
closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
If you have pointers that would be great

0x049485E
0x4EF9085
0x3852EFC
0xDEFA043
0x8484EEC
0x000000

Anyhow, now that I gave you some pointers (even a null one), if you want to make a rendering API wrapper, you'll need to come up with some sort of public API for it. I'm no expert in openGL, or anything like that, so you'll need to do some research as to how to set up a window and start drawing lines.

void drawBox(unsigned int x, unsigned int y, unsigned int width, unsigned int height, unsigned int color)
{
  // Use low level code here to make a box
}

void drawCircle(unsigned int x, unsigned int y, unsigned int radius, int color)
{
 // Use low level code here to make a circle
}

void drawCircleInsideBox(unsigned int x, unsigned int y, unsigned int radius, int boxColor, int circleColor)
{
  drawCircle(x, y, circleColor);
  drawBox(x - radius, y - radius, radius * 2, radius * 2, boxColor);
}

// etc..
// Insert more basic shapes
// etc..

void drawPlayer(int x, int y)
{
  // Use your shapes to draw a player representation
}

A detailed step-by-step guide is far beyond the scope of this message board. You might have better luck trying out a board devoted to openGL or some other technology.

Good luck, Graphical work makes my head hurt.

I do know how you feel with many of the open-source projects out there. I used to feel the same way, but after time and experience, you'll be able to decipher the cryptic documentation / linking issues / workarounds / version changes and use existing libraries just fine.
Last edited on
Okay, just what I am looking for. However, what are the numbers at the beginning? Thanks any way!!

- Kyle
Last edited on
closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
They were the pointers that you asked for.

http://cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/pointers/
What do the numbers mean?!?!??

- Kyle
Nothing. That's the "point". Just a joke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_game_engines Take a look at this list. Some of the open source GPL license versions offer sample code, tutorials and forums for game engine development. There's not much out there because writing a good GE takes a ton of math and physics and it's just plain hard. But, at least you're not alone...
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12