VS is lieing to me lnk errors

so my VS is telling me that these files are missing debugging information...now the files they wont don't belong to me they were given to me by my uni course and they teach us how to use these libraries but they work fine on there computer error never come up now i am at home i launched my VS2010 and started to debug run my build and BAM this came up for no reason...now all the files are there still but it not loading the information or something like that any ideas on how to fix it i can post code or my files if needed =D
all the files are there
What files? How would you know if something was missing?
If they weren't compiled as "Release" instead of "Debug" then they indeed won't have debugging information. Perhaps there are multiple versions of the file for both?
i dont know i cant figure out why it does this i'm really getting lost in learning c++ i'm about ready to throw the towel in i just cant handle it at the moment
The debug files have a .pdb extension.

Typically, only debug builds generate .pdb files with full debug info. It's reasonable to switch on .pdb files for release builds too, but you wouldn't remove optimisations and so the source code won't be and exact match for the code the debugger sees.

When the debug session starts, it writes lots of stuff to the debug console, viewable in Visual Studio's Ouput window. This stuff is the modules being loaded and whether debug information was found. You need to take a look a t that log to determine if the debugger has found symbols.

If the debugger can't find them, make sure the .pdb file is in the same directory as the .exe/.dll.

If you don't have a .pdb, get one by changing the linker settings.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.