Mac programming

Pages: 12
Okay so I have a new Max Lion and I would like to be able to do C++ programming on it. For anybody who knows anything about this should know you can't do that. So what im asking is: Do I have to get windows parrallels and windows 7 onto my Mac to be able to do C++ on my mac lab top?
Install XCode 4.1. It's the basic dev tool for OS X. You can use it for C++ development, be be warned that the native language for GUI programing on OS X is Objective C (using Cocoa). You can use C++ (with Carbon), but Cocoa is the way forward.
closed account (1vRz3TCk)
I would like to be able to do C++ programming on it. For anybody who knows anything about this should know you can't do that.
0_o
Wow, speechless.
I have code blocks but working it is so different from Microsoft Developer C++ i can't even start to code. And why speachless?
I think codemonkey was taken aback about the aggressive tone there.

You CAN do C++ programming on mac OS. And you can do it without modifying your setup. Just download Xcode (which is made by apple for mac developers) for free and set up a C++ project.
Last edited on
Ill try it out and thanks
It's also worth installing MacPorts. It's one of the ways to build certain open source projects. You should also install the command line tools from XCode as the current XCode doesn't set you up for Terminal use.
Well I also hers I could just download Windows Parallel and windows 7 for free
AlwaysLearning wrote:
I think codemonkey was taken aback about the aggressive tone there.
No, I was speechless because of the stupidity of the statement.

If you want to develop software for Mac, get xcode and register as an Apple Developer[1] (both free). Obviously registering is not essential but will give you access to a lot of free technical info and tutorials etc.

Westonrwright wrote:
I have code blocks but working it is so different from Microsoft Developer C++ i can't even start to code.

This sounds like you are stuck in in IDE land. I'm guessing that you have used Visual Studio and never realy looked at what it is doing 'for you' so you don't know how to translate this to other IDEs. If this is the case it would be worth doing as kbw says and set up some command line tools and learn what is going on behind the nice GUI IDEs and then you will be able to move from one IDE to another with little fuss.

The best advice I can give, when you come up against something you don't know, read about it, learn it, don't try to bend it to fit what you do know.

--===#####===--

[1] https://developer.apple.com/programs/register/
Windows Parallel and windows 7 are free?
kbw: not legally
CodeMonkey: the reason i said that was because you can't just instal it onto your computer like you can with windows and you would know that if you had ever just tried to use C++ on macs. You have to go around it with something else like Code blocks or xcode.
And where would i start with setting up some command line tools and learning what your talking about then
Westonrwright wrote:
What?

Westonrwright wrote:
CodeMonkey: the reason i said that was because you can't just instal it onto your computer like you can with windows and you would know that if you had ever just tried to use C++ on macs. You have to go around it with something else like Code blocks or xcode.
By 'it' I assume you mean a C++ compiler...of course you can install it on a Mac.
Code::Blocks and Xcode are just IDEs no 'going around it' needed. Just install your development environment and get on with it.

For the record, Macs are what I use at home and have been coding on them for many years.
I would like to be able to do C++ programming on it. For anybody who knows anything about this should know you can't do that.
i have been programming on my mac for a year or two now? i have done the impossible? get xcode it is free and works very well.

I don't understand why you'd expect assistance from a bunch of programmers when you've quite blatantly hinted at your intentions to pirate software.
please do not get into an anything. just get xcode and move on.
Xcode is a very good IDE!
Oh, don't forget to install support for Command Line tools separately, it took me forever to figure out why I couldn't do C++ on it. Use Xcode, I love it.
Windows Parallel and Windows 7 are both quite expensive for having just bought a 1000$ + Mac. I almost ended up doing that, but I found using Xcode and the ssh command in terminal to connect to my school's server saved me 300$.

If you find the coding to be difficult, download gedit for free and code in there, then copy and paste over. Do not waste your money! You have an amazing machine in front of you.
Any OS allows you to program in C++ and any other language you want to use. An OS that doesn't allow you to program is like a car that doesn't allow you to replace parts. The fact that you are saying you can't program on a Mac is proof you haven't even bothered looking into it. Listen to these guys as they know what they are talking about. I have never used a Mac, but I have Linux and Windows on my computer that I use regularly.
Pages: 12