directx9 programming

hey so i want to create my own games using directx. from what i understood so far d10 and 11 are not even supported on windows xp so i want to start with directx9. but i'm confused about shaders? i got no experience in directx programming only a bit of c++. so where do i start from? right now i'm at chapter 3 from Thinking in c++ volume 1 lol. so far i understand everything i'm taking notes and also write code for every important feature. so can somebody explain to me the important topics of directx9 programming? also i plan to use the Bullet physics engine in my game and make my own models using Blender. but when i looked at the code samples from directx sdk it was a bit overwhelming. especially the dxut stuff - lots of code there.
I have had a hard time reading the code samples in the DX SDK too. Eventually I gave up and went to OpenGL, which is nicer anyways. (although the initialization in OpenGL isn't particularily easier than in DX, there are a bunch of low to mid level API's that do that for you) - bonus: modern OpenGL (OpenGL 3.3 and 4.x) work fine on Windows XP, so you don't have to use a library in which you have to stay away from half the functionality because it's archaic.
Last edited on
Hi,

I read your (mumtazwahid's) post several times, but I couldn't figure out what you are actually asking or being more explicit I do not understand how "deep" you went into Direct3D 9.

So... What do you want to know about it?

Sry, for my english, it isn't my native language and I'm really bad in learning languages, I didn't grew up with.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.