visual studio 2010 noob

In microsoft visual studio 2010 I want to use a command line to run my program and compile it. also the program I am working on right now is supposed to read a file off the command line but I dont know how to give it arguments either. I have looked at some lists of commands for it and decided shell.tools <program name> <argument to program> was the way to go but it also wont work. Then I cant figure out how to set the working directory of the command window to that of the location of my files. I am so messed up right now ive only done text based in linux, any help would be HIGHLY appreciated.
have u tried to see microsoft visual studio 2010 FAQ?
lots of stuff is explained there
It looks like you don't really need Visual Studio if you want to compile from command line, windows SDK it what you are looking for.
@Silverstar - I have looked at a lot of documentation for it. The problem is just sorting out all the irrelevant information.
@modoran - well I use emacs and GNU currently but the debugger is so much nicer in visual C++ that I really want to learn it. As of now the debugger in GNU is so clucky I just end up putting cerr statements in my code to find the error.

I know that Visual C++ is for larger type projects and not for the simple stuff I usally do as of yet (usually less than 1000 lines of code) but I'd like to learn it before I get to those large projects. Anyway, thanks for responding guys.
Pretty sure VS comes with a command line already set up for you. Have you looked in the directory that VS is at for this?

But yea, working with the terminal in *nix is much easier than working in windows command prompt.
You can go to view->Other Windows->Command Window, and you will have a command line inside the IDE.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.