SOCKS5 Proxy through TOR

So this amazing idea came to me when I was starting out my idea for same application.

My Idea is to create an application that all data goes through TOR.

After doing some reading, TOR only operates as a SOCKS proxy (so applications that support SOCKS4 and SOCKS5 such as Mozilla Firefox will work)

Now, after downloading the Tor Browser Bundle, it came with many applications such as Portable Firefox and the application to control TOR called Vidalia.

At first, I thought this was the whole TOR program but found out that its only used to control TOR. The ACTUAL TOR program is here:
http://min.us/mRN53FkzA - Virustotal scan (1/43 - Its definitively a false positive)
(There are only 3 files to actually run TOR, the rest are just extras that I dont need)

NOTE: If you dont believe me, you can download the Tor Browser Bundle from the torproject.org. Once downloaded, run the extractor and go to the "App" folder and then just remove all but 3 files (libeay32.dll, ssleay32.dll, and tor.exe) and run the "tor.exe" program and connect any browser to it

Now the idea struck me. In order to make the screen less cluture, I could command my program to run tor silently in the background (Keep in mind that even though its a program, it runs kinda like a batch, heres a picture: http://i.imgur.com/TxZNN.png)

I was wondering if my program can silently run the TOR program and read whats on the batch file so it knows when its 100%, it goes on to the next step.

Problem is, i dont know how to configure my program to run SOCKS (it cant run as HTTP proxy) but im checking over lots of tutorials.

Second, I have no idea how to make TOR launch in the background silently and how my program can read the batch file.

Any help? (YES, im a new at C++)
Last edited on
Tor is open source, so by modifying it you should be able to "run it" silentlty. (I wander if SW_HIDE flag in windows is what you need).
Well, if I can implement TOR into my application, that should be even better.

The reason why im using TOR is for privacy and there are specific sites that can only be used in it.

Ill add credit to TOR somewhere when I finish, i still need to structure
Tezzsun wrote:
Second, I have no idea how to make TOR launch in the background silently and how my program can read the batch file.

You can execute a hidden console app with redirected output through the CreateProcess() function. I don't know the particulars of console I/O in Windows but the CreateProcess page on MSDN might be a good starting point for you.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.