string conversion

Hello everyone,

I'am a C# programmer, but I have problem with code in c++. Code in c++ (it is unamanaged provider for EBS for Sharepoint, if anyone is interested) calls c# function which is supposed to return string (actually, path of a file on disk), and in c++ that string should be converted in LPCTSTR. Which is the correct way of doing this, what type should be returned from c# to c++ and which type should be receieving type in c++ (I've tried std::string and LPWSTR, not working), and how to convert it then to LPCTSTR?

Here is the code that I've tried so far, and not working:
c++;

HRESULT hr = CoInitialize(NULL);
// Make a smart pointer to the IGetPathClass interface in DLL
IGetPathClassPtr pIGetPathClass(__uuidof(CGetPathClass));   
// Return path using the ADD API

LPWSTR result;

hr = pIGetPathClass->GetPath(SiteID, FileID, &result);
// Release the COM interface
CoUninitialize();

wstring tTempStr; 
tTempStr.assign(result.begin(), result.end()); 
LPCTSTR tPath = tTempStr.c_str();

c# (just returns string):
public interface IGetPathClass
    {
       string GetPath(Guid a, Guid b);
    }
    public class CGetPathClass : IGetPathClass
    {
        public string GetPath(Guid a, Guid b)
        {            
            return "c:\\temp\\aaa";         
        }
    }

Last edited on
I'm not sure how things are done in C# but in c++ when you declare that a member function takes two variables and returns a string it doesn't work to pass it three variables and cast the string that it returns to an HRESULT.
I worked by this example:

http://cppkid.wordpress.com/2009/01/02/how-to-call-a-managed-dll-from-unmanaged-code/

This is exactly what I need, just with "string" type instead of "long" type.
Take that tutorial and kill it with fire. I had to take a break from reading it after they referred to a function as an API, I couldn't even begin to understand the half assed hackish approach they are taking to accomplish a simple task like adding a custom class into a DLL. You will learn nothing useful from that site.

It's easy take line 8 in your code, append it to line 12 then delete "hr" and ", &result". Now tTempStr holds the string returned from your function. If your still having trouble copy paste your new code along with the error youre getting.

EDIT: I did a little more reading, just one more paragraph and I want to say there is no reason to register the dll, none what so ever.
Last edited on
It was strange for me also to see that kind of function call. That article originated from Microsoft, and they say that is is the right function call.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828736

When I move line 8 to 12 and delete what you've said, I get an error "function does not take two arguments".
It must be something to do with .Net then. I looked at the M$ article and I'd agree with you that this is the way they want you to call it but I can't make heads or tails of the " logic".
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.