i need help understnading the project......

You are to design, implement, and then experiment with a program to simulate the memory management
method and the CPU scheduler. The following figure shows the overall structure of the simulated system.
Arriving jobs Memory management Memory CPU scheduling CPU
1 Memory Management
Memory will be allocated in Memory Units – all of the same size (this sounds like paging, but it isn’t. IBMs
OS/MVT allocates memory in 2K blocks). Each process will need a specific number of memory units, and
a specific amount of CPU burst time.
Each job’s memory must be CONTIGUOUS block (this is where we differ from paging). If a large
enough block is not available, the next job waits (is not loaded) until enough other jobs complete to free up
a large enough contiguous block. You will need to implement three dynamic memory allocation algorithms,
“next-fit” and “worst-fit”, for locating the block of memory to use for loading a new process.
The behavior of all the jobs your simulator will handle is described in the data file. Associated with every
job is a unique process id (pid), the arrival time for the given job, a service time (how long a job has until
completion, i.e. how long the jobs “real work” will take), and an address space size. The simulated memory
has 256 memory units. The pid is between 0 and 69. The address space size is between 5 and 200 memory
units. The service time is between 1 to 100 clock ticks. The data file format is:
pid ArrivalTime ServiceTime AddressSpaceSize
For example, the data file
0 0 10 20
1 5 15 50
describes a simulation that has two jobs. The first has a pid of 0, an arrival time of zero (when the simulation
starts), needs to do 10 clock ticks of work, and needs a memory size of 20 units. The second job has a pid
of 1, arrives at clock tick 5, needs to do 15 clock ticks of work, and needs a memory of 50 units.
2 CPU Scheduler
The simulated system is a based on the simplified MLFQ scheduling algorithm as shown in the example
and quiz in class. The three queues are Q1, Q2, and Q3 with time quantum size as 8, 16, and 32. In this
system, a process has only one CPU burst and no I/O burst. Priority boost is ignored too. The scheduling
procedure follows the policy discussed in class.
3 The Simulated System
The system will have the following behavior. You must have a way to keep time intervals (clock ticks) during
the execution of the system. A simple approach to this problem might be to use a loop and for each iteration,
increment the clock (initially zero). Your main loop will something like the following:
(1) Check if there is a new job arrival. If yes, put it to the waiting list and start memory scheduler.
(2) If a new process loaded, update it to the ready list.
(3) Run the MLFQ scheduler to select a ready process to run for a certain time period, update the ready
list, and so on.
(4) keep track of statistics.
(5) If the job currently running complete, free the allocated memory units, remove it from the ready list,
and start the memory scheduler so that any pending process for memory could have the opportunity to
be admitted; otherwise, choose next job in the ready list, and go on until all processes are done.
For this simulation, jobs will do no “real” work; i.e. your simulation will implement what happens when the
CPU invokes the operating system process scheduler. You can think of this project as a function call inside
the operating system. A function call that updates all job states and sets up the next job to run, so that
when the function call completes, the CPU has next job and can begin to run it.
4 Output Specification
You will display a memory map every time a new job is loaded or finished. Each process will be represented
by a unique character among
a-z, A-Z, 0-9, @, #, $, %, &, *, +, ?
Thus, you have 70 unique one-character process IDs to use. As such, your simulation should process up to
70 job. Along with each memory map, give a percentage of unused memory (hole percent). Hole percent is
the fraction of the empty memory over the overall memory. Your output should look something like this:
000 aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
064 bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbcccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccdddddddddddd
128 ddddddddddddddddddddddddddd____________________ffffffffffffffgggg
192 gggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh_____________
Hole percent: 12.89
000 iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii______________bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
064 bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccddddddddddddd
128 dddddddddddddddddddddddddddkkkkkk______________fffffffffffffggggg
192 ggggggggggggjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj_____________
Hole percent: 16.02
In addition, you need to display the states of all processes whenever context switch happens and when
all processes complete. Your output should look something like this:
The Process States at Time xxxx
---------+-------+--------+--------+----------
Job# |Arrival|Running |Waiting |Completion
|Time |Duration|Duration|Time
pid0 |xxx |xxx |xxx |xxx
pid1 |xxx |xxx |xxx |xxx
... ... ... ... ...
pidN |xxx |xxx |xxx |xxx
When all processes are done, the following information should be print out:
Total simulated time units: xxx
Total number of jobs: xxx
Average hole percent: xx.xx
Average waiting Time: xx.xx
5 Coding and Testing
It’s recommended to use C/C++ for the programming language. It will be fine too if you use any other
languages, but in this case you need to demo it to us.
Your executable file should be named as virtualization. Your simulator should support 2 command
line arguments, one for the choice of algorithm (1: next-fit; 2: worst-fit), and one for input data file name.
So the program will be run as follows:
prompt> virtualization 1 datafile1.txt
i need someone to explain how i should go about it, i tried to talk to my professor and he's explanation isn't that clear. please help me if you can with the plan
You'll hardly find someone that would read all that and then answer you. It is just too much. You need to do some work to narrow your question down one ... or 20 notches. For example, I saw the post and just decided I wouldn't read all that.

So suggestion: Work it out with your professor, at least the start, and if you get into trouble with a specific section, post a question about that specific section and nothing more.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.