Application won't work without visual studio?

I have created my first windows application in visual c++ 2008 express edition. It compiles without any errors or warnings and runs just fine in both my computers(one of which has xp and the other vista).

However, when anyone that doesn't not have visual c++ tries to run it the application won't run. I googled for a solution, but I can't seem to find it... Anyone know what the problem is? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Clarify "won't run". You open it and nothing happens? It throws a cryptic error message and closes? It says you're missing a DLL?

If it's that last one... programs made in VS often require some additional runtime libraries. Stuff like msvcr##.dll or msvcp##.dll. These come bundled with VS, but if someone doesn't have VS installed they might not have them.

You could try distributing those dlls with your program when you give it to others. Or direct them to a site where they can download it (google the DLL name and you'll get plenty of hits -- but only download from credible sites!).
Last edited on
May be you build a MFC DEBUG Application.
Thanks for the answers. I think the problem can be fixed by installing Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package, since description reads:

" The Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) installs runtime components of Visual C++ Libraries required to run applications developed with Visual C++ on a computer that does not have Visual C++ 2008 installed. "

Though it seems a bit dumb... don't people make commercial applications with it? Do they make everyone install that so that they'll run?
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.