The Console is a Terrible Medium for Games

Pages: 123
I fail to understand how Netbeans applies the linker commands (since it doesn't explicitly state: "Linker commands:" anywhere). So I don't know where to put the commands (and since I never use those commands, I already forgot them, again (Woohoo)).

Code::blocks might be better at this, and I will definitely make the switch if that is the case.
I used Code::Blocks and failed to do a successful install even after several attempts. I got SDL working though. I will be trying SFML again though as just looking at some source it looks much cleaner.
I have both Code::Blocks and Visual C++ without any problems setting it up. I just followed the tutorial on SFML website.

http://www.sfml-dev.org/tutorials/1.6/start-cb.php
http://www.sfml-dev.org/tutorials/1.6/start-vc.php
I'll abandon Netbeans during this week, and I'll try to get used to Code::Blocks; Netbeans sucks for linking options (they unnecessarily over-complicate it).
I believe I got it to work, can anyone post a simple SFML code, aside from the clocking?
It's a pretty good article. It's something I find myself linking to from time to time. And since there is this neat special "Articles" section, I figured, that maybe you should post it there. The same goes for http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/articles/17108/ . I'm sure there were more useful articles here, but I've forgotten about them, which is exactly why I'm writing this. "Forums/Articles" section is somewhat overcrowded. It would be nice to find all great articles in one place. What do you think?
Might be a fine fix but I think some sort of Moderation leveled user would be better to move topics that aren't articles, out of the article section. There are a sad number of posts that aren't, that do as you said, overcrowd the section. Considering that will probably never happen, I guess we don't have much of a choice.
Last edited on
Very good. I'm glad someone put this. I'm a very avid game developer and it frustrates me to see people who want to start making console applications for adventure games WELL AFTER their learning phase of C++ is over. It is possible, but takes a lot of testing and effort.

However, graphics is where the industry is at and SFML is a great beginners start to learn the basics of calling external APIs and what-not. I used it while I was in college before they 'upgraded' us to learning the DirectX and OpenGL libraries...my my were those the days. Though, they aren't as bad as they sound and there are plenty of resources online.

If you want to learn the ABSOLUTE BASICS of game development, I also suggest the 'drag-and-drop' GameMaker by Yo Yo Games. It teaches you very important game logic concepts, but trust me...you won't set the world on fire with it. Also, XNA is a great tool and you can't get your games PUBLISHED for $100/year, however it is C#-based, which is off-topic of this forum.
I make graphical games using the allegro freeware library. It's good.
While I completely agree that the console is not a good medium for graphics, I think one should not forget that the console can still be immensely useful (for example, all my web-to-c++ interface is made via a simple console application).

[Edit:] My comment on Netbeans: I tried to set-up a project from my existing code. Netbeans insists that it gets a separate folder to put my code into. Now, this is simply *not* the workflow I use with Visual studio and Code::blocks. In other words, Netbeans is telling me:

"You silly programmer, you must adjust your workflow to the way WE think it should be. So, please, put all your code according to OUR template, and be sure to name your C++ source folder as "src"."

You know, programs exist to serve us, not the other way round. Netbeans got uninstalled after 10 minutes of failed attempts to make it use my default folder shared by the other IDEs.
Last edited on
Don't use an IDE and you get to decide exactly how to structure everything.
Don't use an IDE and you get to decide exactly how to structure everything.

That may be true but then you have to do 3x the work
I still find it easier to use gedit and a terminal emulator than to use something like Code::Blocks. Using an IDE always seems like more effort to me. Every IDE I've used (Visaul Studio, Code::Blocks, KDevelop, Netbeans and Eclipse) just seemed to get in my way and irritate me. The closest I've ever come to an IDE that I liked was IDLE for Python.
Well you're also a Linux nutcase, so you must just enjoy doing things the hard way. ;P

(I tease, I tease)
Yep. I spend my days editing text configuration files in /etc using only ed.
chrisname wrote:
Yep. I spend my days editing text configuration files in /etc using only ed.
Oh man!! Linux gives me head aches.
Lol, I guess some people just find it easier to get used to... I actually find it easier to use than Windows.
A linux nutcase wrote:
Lol, I guess some people just find it easier to get used to... I actually find it easier to use than Windows.

Ditto, and ditto about the IDE stuff. I more often than not end up using a minimalistic editor combined with CMake for my projects than a large, feature-rich, and bloated IDE, and it ends up being faster and easier for me. Funny, because I once really liked using IDEs...

-Another Linux nutcase
I love the GNOME text editor, gedit. It's quite minimalist, but it has plugins.

GNU nano is also a very nice text editor.
Last edited on
Pages: 123