How to use code tags

How to use code tags

When posting, you will probably want to post the code that you are having trouble with. However, simply copying and pasting the code in makes it quite hard to read. The solution? Code tags.

They are quite simple to use; When typing your post simply write this:

[code]
Your code goes here
[/code]

Alternatively, you can paste your code in, highlight it, then click the "<>" button near the bottom or right edge of the posting window.
Last edited on
It's also nice for the code to be properly indented (which it should be if you paste it directly from your IDE editor) and to have appropriately placed vertical whitespace (newlines).
Most new users don't bother reading the article section first, they just post their question. Also, this isn't really an article... I guess this is a nice try but not really an effective one.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Zeillinger wrote:
Most new users don't bother reading the article section first, they just post their question.
No but we do like to post links to such articles rather than keep writing the same out over and over again.

Zeillinger wrote:
Also, this isn't really an article... I guess this is a nice try but not really an effective one.

The article section is for 'How-to's and other technical articles', this comes under the heading of 'How to'.
Grey Wolf wrote:
The article section is for 'How-to's and other technical articles', this comes under the heading of 'How to'.

I'm not trying to criticize but I will say that the welcome thread does not mention general 'How-to's.

As for the other remark, I guess it just feels like there are several thread already mentioning [code] tags here. If I can add my own opinion, the welcome thread in the Beginner's section should be replaced with an even shorter version of the document that includes the suggestion to use code tags (maybe add an example as well).
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Zeillinger wrote:
I'm not trying to criticize but I will say that the welcome thread does not mention general 'How-to's.
No but the forum description does.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.