Switching to C++ from Java

Do any of you know of any good online resources for making the switch from java to C++? I have taken a few years of object oriented in Java and I've been asked to make the switch for a new job position. Any documentation would be helpful.

Thanks, sorry if I'm asking a repeat question...

James Elmore
I'm not sure i'm still pretty new to c++ but as far as I understood isn't java just an upgraded version of c++? like c++ is to c.
Last edited on
I'm not sure i'm still pretty new to c++ but as far as I understood isn't java just an upgraded version of c++? like c++ is to c.

No! Java and C++ are very different! C++ is a superset with C that provides OOP, and new libraries. It's backwards compatible with C also. Java on the other hand doesn't compile into assembly. It goes to byte-code first, then the Java Virtual Machine interprets the byte-code into machine code. This is why Java is "Write once, run anywhere". Java has some similar looking syntax in some ways, but other than that, the languages are VERY different.
I've been asked to make the switch for a new job position.

Do you have at least a year before you start that job?

You'd need a C++ textbook, a couple reference books, and a few early-to-mid-level best practices books like anyone else -- there is nothing special for Java programmers, other than reminders to ignore everything you think you know.
(book list is at: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/388242 )
you should try reading Let Us C by Yashwant Kanetkar
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.