Adding to another class's vector

I'm trying to make a blackjack program where I have a player class and dealer class, and I want the dealer to add a card to the player class's hand. The dealer class should have access to it because it's just protected, but when I use a function that's supposed to add a card, the player class vector remains empty. There's no errors or anything.

class Player {
protected:
    vector<string> playersHand;
};

class Dealer : public Player {
public:
    void dealToPlayer() {
        playersHand.push_back(draw());
    }
};  
It looks like you are trying to push a function where a string is supposed to be. Or does the draw function return a string? Also it is protected so you would need a function to view the items in it.
The draw function returns a string, and I'm using a function to display the cards. I have another function that does the same thing but goes to the dealer class's vector and it works.

Edit: Ok figured something out...I can display the player's cards with a function inside the dealer class but I can't make a player object and display them with a function inside the player class after doing the dealToPlayer function. I don't know if that made sense. It becomes like a different vector...I get it now.
Last edited on
When you call dealToPlayer(), the dealer draws a card which is then pushed onto his playersHand vector.
Something like this perhaps:

class Dealer : public Player {
public :
	Dealer() {}//whatever
	void deal(Player* player);
	//etc
};

void Dealer::deal(Player* player) {
	player->hand.push_back(draw());
	//assuming draw() is not a member function.
}
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.