C++ primer 5th edition vs C++ primer plus 6th edition?

which is better for a beginner?
Last edited on
I read neither the 5th edition nor the 6th edition but I think that the higher version of edition the better because the last edition contains more information about modern C++.

I read neither the 5th edition nor the 6th edition but I think that the higher version of edition the better because the last edition contains more information about modern C++.

His asking about two different books.
C++ primer by Stanley B. Lippman, Josée Lajoie and Barbara E. Moo.
C++ primer plus by Stephen Prata.

I have the fourth edition of c++ primer and it's an amazing book, I would definitely recommend you getting it(the 5. edition).

Haven't read c++ primer plus.
Last edited on
> which is better for a beginner?

C++ Primer 5th Edition (Lippman, Lajoie, and Moo) is a good book for a beginner.

C++ Primer Plus 6th Edition (Prata) is a bad book for anyone.

LOL @ JLBorges
Made your point clear enough XD

Thanks guys.

What do you guys think of Programmuing principles and practice by bjarne stroustrup?

JLBorges, would like to know your view on that. :D
> Programmuing principles and practice by bjarne stroustrup?

Good book, but written before C++11.
See: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/388242/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list
better than Primer 5?
> better than Primer 5?

They are two different books, written with different goals in mind.
The title of each book conveys the intent of the author(s) quite well.

C++ Primer: The authors aim to teach the programming language C++, and do it well.

Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++: Stroustrup aims to teach programming, using C++ as the medium to do so, and does it well.

Last edited on
closed account (3qX21hU5)
I also agree with JLBorges C++ Primer is a great book to get for a reference and for when learning C++. Moo and Lippman are my favorite authors on C++.

C++ Primer Plus is a second rate knockoff of C++ Primer and I personally wouldn't recommend it to anyone. http://accu.org/index.php?module=bookreviews&func=search&rid=1744 Granted that is a review on the Fourth Edition but Stephan Prata doesn't really have a good track record with C++ books.
Last edited on
C++ primer plus 6th edition
@Megziflips

What do you guys think of Programmuing principles and practice by bjarne stroustrup?

It is a very bad book for beginners. You will spend your time in vain.
@vlad i think i have developed a high respect for your point of view. What you just said is true. Infact, it is my reason for asking this question.

For some weeks now I have been using Programming principles and practice by bjarne stroustrup like you said, it is really a very bad book for beginners.

Remember yesterday i asked what book you learned C++ from, it was cos this book didnt seem to be really good and i was looking for an alternative.

I like his explanation about programming, but he didnt seem do do a good job at making a newbie really understand C++.
From chapter 5, he began to use a lot of unexplained functions.

I wished you had told me earlier to stop using this book.

Well i decided it has been an utter wast of my time after my struggle to ride along to chapter 8.

I already had C++ primer 5th edition, I think im gonna start again with that.

Thanks for all the answers guys! Gracias!
@Megziflips

@vlad i think i have developed a high respect for your point of view. What you just said is true. Infact, it is my reason for asking this question.

I said so because 1) I meet very often complaints against this book from beginners; 2) I read the book myself and I can confirm that the book from the methodical point of view is very and very bad for beginners.

You should take into account that Straustrup is weak as a practical programmer. It is enough to mention that due to his petty tyranny programmers over the world were lost such useful algorithm as copy_if.

Straustrup is a theoretic of programming. So his books are full of philosophic reasoning. It is not what beginners need.
@Megziflips
From chapter 5, he began to use a lot of unexplained functions

It will be interesting to hear what you will say when you start to read chapter 19.:)
vlad wrote:
You should take into account that Straustrup is weak as a practical programmer.

You should take into account that his actual job is teaching C++ in college (at TAMU, to be exact). The book is what worked best in practice.

It is enough to mention that due to his petty tyranny programmers over the world were lost such useful algorithm as copy_if.

Nonsense

Straustrup is a theoretic of programming. So his books are full of philosophic reasoning. It is not what beginners need.

utter nonsense
Last edited on
@Cubbi
You should take into account that his actual job is teaching C++ in college (at TAMU, to be exact). The book is what worked best in practice.

If for example your job is writing programs it does not mean that you are a good programmer.:)

As for other your statements I can say nothing because I do not see any argu,ments.

std::copy_if was excluded from the C++ 2003 Standard due to personal efforts of Straustrup and he is writing about this in this book. Did you read this book?:)
std::copy_if was excluded from the C++ 2003 Standard due to personal efforts of Straustrup and he is writing about this in this book. Did you read this book?

Must have been a different book. PPP says: "Thanks to a mistake I made, this algorithm is missing from the 1998 ISO Standard. This mistake has now been remedied, but you can still find implementations without copy_if. lf so, just use the definition from this section".
His personal efforts back then were to turn all of STL into the standard library requirement, not the opposite.

More importantly, Stroustrup does not teach theory. His goal is to bridge the gap between what people learn in college as programming and what is needed to work as a programmer.
@Cubbi
His goal is to bridge the gap between what people learn in college as programming and what is needed to work as a programmer.

If to take this into account then this goal is something different than the goal of books that can be named as "C++ for beginners".
closed account (EwCjE3v7)
Read 5th edition....becuz its rewritten for c++11 and the 6th edition is written by another auther...so 5th edition is way better im reading it
@vlad

@Megziflips
From chapter 5, he began to use a lot of unexplained functions

It will be interesting to hear what you will say when you start to read chapter 19.:)

I dont think you will be seeing that. I gave up on that book today. You are totally right. Really not for a beginner and i can second most things you said here. His ideas are greatly philosophic.

But i must hand it to him, the book gives you a great approach and perspective to programming in general.
It also feeds your desire to become a programmer.

I will be sure to review that book when I am comfortable with programming.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.