strange segmentation fault

I'm working on a small project which requires some bitwise manipulation
basicly in this snippet of code I am using calloc to create a null space of a certain length and write argv[1] to the beginning of it. There is more obviously but I have a strange problem. I get segmentation faults if argv[1] is >6 bytes, or 48 bits. What is really strange is that the segmentation fault happens after the program runs and if I pipe the output to hexdump, it seem to be doing what I want it to. Any ideas?

#include <cstdlib>
#include <iostream>
#include <cstring>
#include <cassert>
#include <cmath>
typedef unsigned int bitsize_t;
typedef unsigned int bytesize_t;
using namespace std;
int main(int argc, char** argv)
{
    	assert(argv[1] != NULL );
    	char* padding;
    	bytesize_t M = strlen(argv[1]);
		bitsize_t l = 8 * M;
		float blocks = ceil(( (float)l + 1. + 64. ) / 512 );
		cout << "Allocating "<< blocks * 512 /8 << " bytes\n";
		padding = (char*)calloc( (512 * blocks) / 8, sizeof(char));
		cout << "empty set padding -->"<<padding<<"<--"<<endl;
		memcpy(&padding,&argv[1],l);
        cout << "padding -->"<<padding<<"<--"<<endl;
}
man wrote:
void *memcpy(void *dest, const void *src, size_t n);
The memcpy() function copies n bytes from memory area src to memory area dest.

bitsize_t l = 8 * M;
	memcpy(&padding,&argv[1],l); //¿? 
`argv[1] has length `M', no `l'
Wow. I'm dumb. Thanks.
Still having very strange problems.
M = 1 to 2, I don't get segmentation faults but it doesn't copy anything
M = 3 -5 , it doesn't copy and I get segmentation faults
M= 6-48, works correctly
M= 49-?, copies data but I get segmentation faults.

#include <cstdlib>
#include <iostream>
#include <cstring>
#include <cassert>
#include <cmath>
typedef unsigned int bitsize_t;
typedef unsigned int bytesize_t;
using namespace std;
int main(int argc, char** argv)
{
    	assert(argv[1] != NULL );
    	char* padding;
	bitsize_t l = 8 * M;
	float blocks = ceil(( (float)l + 1. + 64. ) / 512 );
	padding = (char*)calloc(512 * blocks/ 8, sizeof(char));
	memcpy(&padding,&argv[1],M);
        return 0;
}
memcpy(padding, argv[1], M);

&padding is the address of the pointer that is allocated on the stack. &argv[1] is the address/offset of the parameter that is, likewise, on the stack. You were reading from and writing to memory you have no business accessing.
ummmm..... Thanks, I think. Now that you clarified that, what if I wanted to write a program which among other things was able to copy bitwise from the command arguments to a location of a predetermined size which I have business accessing?
You can't copy anything "bitwise." Everything is done at the granularity of bytes when you get to moving things around. You can, of course, manipulate the bits in a byte, but that doesn't seem to have any relation to what you are doing. You are simply moving bytes around.

See the line of code in the post I made and note how it differs from the analogous line in yours.

It is unclear to me what you're attempting to accomplish with the calculations on lines 14-16. Presumably there is some other aspect to the code that isn't show here.
I'm attempting to write a SHA 256 algorithim, as defined in FIPS PUB 180-4. Strictly for pedigogical purposes. It seemed like a difficult project, however one that would help me learn lower level movement of information. Basiclly what I have to do is create an array of data which has a length with a multiple of 512 bits. The first bytes will be the message itself, followed by a bitwise 1 then padded with zeros until the last 64 bits which is the length of the message.

When I remove the reference operators it appears to be working as desired, however I am still trying to figure out why they would be use in the first place.
The ampersand used here is more commonly called the "address of" operator. Although I've seen it called a "reference" operator in some naive tutorials, that really is something I think should be avoided. & used as an operator has nothing to do with the C++ concept of references.

The standard supports this obliquely. There is no entry in the index for operator, reference but there is for operator, address-of.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.